Public Message Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Selfless vs. Reprehensible

Following this for several months as I have I still find it inexcusable that the leadership of EAA (a vested interest in NAFI) has little regard for the concerns expressed by TBO regarding the leadership of NAFI. Though TBO and the IWG seems to have had little impact on Tom Poberenzy, 400+ letters from the TBO supporters demanding the immediate resignation of the Executive Director and the entire current BOD and be replaced with an interim Board approved by the supporters of TBO until a new set of By Laws are approved by the membership and subsequent election of a new BOD elected by the membership may provide the incentive required to make a change. It is time to make a change. It is quite obvious that the current operating structure of NAFI is oblivious to the concerns expressed by the members of NAFI and they have little regard for policies and procedures that they approved and put into place for the operation of NAFI.

Like many of us, I do not need the MCFI designation to renew my CFI. I enjoy the honor is brings to the organizations I represent (FAA as a DPE, CAP as Stan/Eval, my local airport as CFI), all of whom I believe would like me to keep the designation. I have considered not renewing for my 4th time later this year if the changes result in a less distinguished organization. I also am concerned about the FAA's recognition of the designation should the program and review change to new hands. The Hill's have done an excellent job of both administration and advocacy which has served us well. I don't understand the current controversy well enough to know why a change is essential but with the reputation and professionalism shown throughout the years, there seems to be no valid justification for the EAA leadership and board's actions.

I agree with everyone's assessment. I fail to understand the Board's actions in light of their fiduciary responsibility to the members It is OUR dues money they're are squandering). I'm at an age where I really couldn't care less about a few more letters after my name but I do care about the profession and what NAFI allegedly stood (past tense!) for. The board's actions are not those of professionals. As an EAA member I have contacted Tom P. and asked that he carefully re-evaluate the relationship with NAFI. As things presently stand I find it to not be in the best interests of EAA to continue the affiliation.

Reprehensible and ludicrous, at best, is this type of behavior by a non-profit organizations board of directors.

How does a Board of Directors become empowered to make decisions on behalf of the organization without the voice of the organization being heard? It is the responsibility of a board of directors to carry out the wishes of it's membership... not the other way around.

How does a Board of Directors become empowered to spend the monies of the members for legal counsel or PR? Provisions for disbursement of funds of any kind should be outlined in the Articles of Incorporation and the By Laws of the organization. Does it allow for legal counsel to be hired... if so it should be directed only for use in the defense of the organization not board members personal liability and if the By Laws are unclear... they must be addressed and changed... the members can call for this action!

Sandy and JoAnn Hill have been the voice,face, and backbone of NAFI. They have exhibited nothing less then absolute professionalism and their dedication to the organization and education of the industry is evident in every lecture, phone call, personal appearance and with the time they spend with each and every pilot that they take the time to greet, answer questions and educate about the organization.

To lose these two would be a very sad event and the impact on the structure of the organization would suffer greatly.

Volunteer boards are just that... volunteer and action from the membership should be able to rectify a board direction and/or replacement ... the responsibility is to that of it's members and the membership should settle for nothing less.

My very best to Sandy and JoAnn.... it is an honor and pleasure to work with you.... and always will be!

Cheryl DeFilippo/Hardy
National FAASTeam Representative of the Year 2007

It is a sad day in the general aviation flight instruction world when two people who have devoted so much time and energy to the industry are forced out of their organization. I am dismayed that the BOD is not being responsive to the membership. I think they will find it very hard to erect the tent at Sun N Fun and Oshkosh without the members and volunteers. But take heart! Life will go on and a new organization will arise.

Jeff Edwards
2003 National Flight Instructor of the Year