Public Message Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NAFI Membership Resignations

Arlynn,
Recently I was asked by a prospective SAFE Board Member Nominee if they should renew their membership in NAFI – or if that might jeapordize their candidacy.
The following was my answer:

"To your question about NAFI membership – I don’t know. I don’t imagine there will be scenes reminiscent of the Spanish Inquisition like: “Did you, or did you Not - renew your membership to NAFI.”

On the other hand – the birth of SAFE is a breakaway from NAFI. Before any independent movement, country, organization, etc. is established in its own right, the breakaway group is cast as rebels. Then the ‘rebels’ cast the parent group as merciless tyrants’. Only after establishment, is the previous behavior re-cast as revolutionary. The same phenomena is seen in the history of communism, the Civil War, Nicaragua, South Africa, Rome, Israel, etc. The winners get to cleanse the history to their version.

For many reasons I have stayed out of the fray. While I gave much private advice to Rich and Doug, my position at Masterflight, AIAA, CAP, HENAAC, NCAE, etc. caused me to refrain from commenting on the outcry for the wholesale resignation of the Executive Director and Board of another non-profit organization. I gave the same advice on governance to NAFI (which they hinted at in their publications) as I did to SAFE nee TBO-NAFI."

Arlynn, your courageous lead compels me to end my silence. My vision is that after the dust settles, if SAFE grows to significance (which I define as greater than 10% of the flight instructor population – approx. 10,000 members - with an additional representation of other aerospace education professionals, and has a budget > $1MM for at least three years) that a future SAFE Executive Director will recognize that only through partnership with all the players that will we achieve our dream. Success in this era requires non-profits, business, academia, and government to create strategic alliances. Alas, my guess is there will be some more blood-letting before SAFE and NAFI (which is our link to EAA) will be able to work productively together.

Arlynn, I salute you.

If you are nominated now, or in the future for a seat on the SAFE Board of Directors, you will have my vote.
(I am speaking only on my behalf and not of any organization I represent.)

Very Respectfully,

Mordechai

Mordechai Levin
Executive Director
Masterflight Foundation

6000 IL Route 173
Richmond IL 60071
949-547-1479
FAX 419-735-7699

Re: Re: NAFI Membership Resignations

Mordechai:

While I appreciate your well thought arguements, I must question the numbers you forward as a benchmark for SAFE's success.

I understand that NAFI does not have 10,000 members. If that is true, after nearly 42 years of existence, I contend we (NAFI) have had problems for some time. Using your benchmarks NAFI has failed.

I am confident that SAFE's marketing committee is investigating why NAFI's market penetration is less than 10%.

SAFE has a new paradigm of how to govern an organization. That said, competing with NAFI's 42-year history will take more than a nearly identical product line, it will take more than a nearly identical marketing plan, it will most certainly take time.

John

A different perspective:

I don't wish for NAFI to use my membership dues to harass, threaten, or cause harm to other members. This is the top of the organization engaging in completely inappropriate and quite childish behavior. In their doing so, they have caused harm to all of us, a "professional" organization acting unprofessionally.
I can neither support nor recommend an organization that does this, nor do I wish for my hard-earned reputation to be tainted by being associated with such an organization.

I have nothing against NAFI members, EAA, or EAA members. As a whole, they are a great group of flight instructors, pilots, and aviation enthusiasts that I enjoy associating with, especially at Airventure and the other fly-ins.

The problem is a few bad eggs spoiling the batch. When those bad eggs are removed and if the organization is still around, perhaps I will re-join, but not until then. In the meantime, they will not be using my membership dues for their vendettas.

I think the discussion here is healthy. I don't think that resignation from NAFI is necessary or even desirable in the short term.

Until SAFE is up and running, and can establish for SAFE members the same benefits that NAFI has I see no reason to forgo benefits that I have already paid for. For example I purchase from ASA at a discount and I utilize the NAFI insurance benefits. Giving these up does not make sense until SAFE establishes similar programs. I will be a member of both until there is a parity in benefits (soon I hope!)

Long term I will not support NAFI unless they turn over the Board by electing all new board members via a membership ballot.

I think Arlynn has made some excellent points. After reading her comments, I can see there would be an advantage to having a membership in both NAFI and SAFE.
I look forward to being a SAFE member and plan to visit the booth at Sun n Fun.