Public Message Forum

Private Pilot Primary Training
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Piloting Proficieny

Hi Robert--

Where to begin... Tupolev on an ILS? Say what? One way to fly? Hmmmm.

Yes, new and shiny are nice, tho maybe not if "pop-riveted," especially not if out-of-reach expensive, regardless of electronics. More to the point, how many aspiring pilots have ever heard of "TAA?" Or know the difference between steam gages and G1000? So why place all the emphasis there? Plain old Sales Talk and nothing to do with flying qualities or skills, especially for beginning pilots.

Are we spreading the joy of SAFE flying or are we just avionics sales folk?

You bet I'm excited about LSA, ever since I first flew J-3's, Champs etc. 40 years ago. My 63-year-old C-140 (not LSA) still looks like new, flies great and is a wonderful trainer. Inexpensive ($60/hr), too. Lots of those LSA eligible (or not) old tube 'n rag airplanes are being resurrected for training--good! Here at KAWO my flight school neighbors and I all offer "low-cost" as well as more expensive "TAA" training. The most popular airplanes? Those with the lowest cost--my C-140 and their tube 'n rag, 65hp, no electrical system, armstrong starter Champs and J-3's. Nobody learns to fly in 20 hours, tho, regardless of hardware, software or hype. Yes, we all have more complex, expensive airplanes, too, G1000 included. The more complex and expensive the airplanes, the less they fly.

In any case, for most of us flying is plenty exciting regardless of the hardware. No need to fill aspiring pilots full of misleading sales talk with little or no immediate application. Let's emphasize the fun and satisfaction of learning to FLY! well. That's what folks want. It may not be "fast-food-easy," LSA, G1000 or otherwise, but it sure is fun (satisfying and long-lasting, too!) and just about anyone can learn to do it, safely and well. A little less salesmanship and a little more airmanship just might improve the accident statistics, too.

Yes, the rudder may be the most important and is surely the most neglected control in airplanes. Too bad all airplanes aren't 2-control Ercoupes, eh? That would undoubtedly put an end to a big slice of the most common accidents: takeoff and landing. But the fleet is not made up of Ercoupes, much as I like 'em, so I guess we'll just have to train using all three controls 'til then.

Yes, I love G1000 et al, too, but how many are out in the field? A very small percentage of the fleet for the simple reason that new airplanes are waaaay out of reach for most of us, flying schools and individuals, LSA, TAA or G1000. $20K is a stretch for most folks.

Is learning to fly really about learning to program a GPS/autopilot? For some, at the right time, maybe. Funny thing, but TAA accident statistics are dismal--maybe they're not the big safety advance hyped. But DR and pilotage ARE still necessary skills for ALL of us, G1000 etc. notwithstanding. And most of us, not just "students," still haven't quite mastered the basics of aircraft control. Isn't it just common sense to place the emphasis there? And there are still lots of ADF's out there--lots more than approach-approved GPS's--and NDB approaches, too, so ADF has its place. But the main thing is, most of the checkbooks I see wince at the cost of ALL airplanes--whether $10K Ultralights or $300K 172's. Doesn't much matter, tho, they just want to FLY and will never own aircraft of any kind. To my way of thinking "situational based" training is just another term for quality training, G1000 or nordo. Autopilot NOT required. TAA NOT required. Nor desirable for primary training.

The biggest problem I see in flight training is lack of both stick 'n rudder and, especially, teaching skills in the CFI cadre. The old gripe about needing better pay will stay with us until we deserve it, and it won't lower the cost of learning to fly. Forget the TAA and LSA sales talk, most of us just don't fly very well, CFI's and not a few ATP's and DPE's included. Too many CFI's have little teaching skill or interest in obtaining same. Not good. (BTW, I'm looking for a good, experienced, fly anything, part-time CFI--$50/hr).

So, let's skip dumbing-down and smarten-up instead. It's easy! Might even save some money and have more fun, too.

JP