Public Message Forum

Instrument Training Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cross country definition

As a new IGI (and still relatively inexperienced instrument rated PP) I encountered what probably will be my first of several disagreements over the definitions and regs...the definition and meaning of what counts as cross country time. I was recently acting as a safety pilot for and instrument student wanting to log cross country time under the hood. His plan was to fly to an airport 29nm away to which I responded that to count towards his cross country requirements the destination airport must be more than 50nm from the point of origin (Part 61.1). He said that his CFII told him otherwise and that he only to fly 25nm or more. This morning his 16000 hr CFII challenged me and at first said I was wrong. Later he consented partial agreement and said that definition of 50nm is only applicable when working towards a certificate or rating. I still disagree. Can I get a consensus on what is the correct definition for cross country? Oh yes, this particular CFII keeps referring to the student pilot language of 25 nm cross country as a foundation for his position.

Re: Cross country definition

Hi Robert!

"Cross Country" can have different definitions depending on what the cross country is being applied to.

In it's most simple definition, it's any flight that has a landing at an point other than the point of deaprture.

You are correct that for the purposes of a person working on their IA rating, that the >50NM rule applies. Show the CFII that is questioning this that 61.1(b)(3)(ii) contains the wording "for the meeting the requirements for an instrument rating"...and then (B) of that same section specifies the >50NM requirement.

The other CFI that is saying 25 NM is getting confused with the language in 61.93 that is used for STUDENT PILOTS. Although the person working on his IA is an "instrument student", he is not a "Student Pilot" in the FAR sense.

If the CFII's still want to argue the point, get a copy of the FAR, highlight the applicable portions mentioned above and ask them to defend their positions to you.

Mike

Re: Cross country definition

Thanks Mike!