Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boise-Payette Lumber Yard

My Dad went to work for Boise-Payette in Gooding in 1943, transferred to Wilder in 1946 and then to Mtn. Home in the spring of 1949. My Mom was 5 months pregnant at the time. Since there wasn’t a hospital in MH at the time, she stayed in Wilder until I was born and then Dad came to Caldwell and took us to MH when I was about 10 days old. He was assistant manager there until 1953 when he went to work for the Post Office on the base.
The picket fences were sort of a trademark of those old Boise-Payette lumber yards. In the late 50’s, the company started replacing them with more secure fencing. My Dad cut a deal with the guys there in MH and hauled a bunch of sections of the old fence to our house. Seemed Mom had always wanted a white picket fence and Dad saw this as his chance to give her one.
Those old fences were 8 feet tall made from 1 x 4 rough cut fir and painted over. Dad built a sort of table affair to hold one panel at a time and would cut them in half to form two panels of 4 foot high fence. All he had to do was add a 2 x 4 runner at the top or bottom and he had 16 feet of fence. After the fence was installed, I got the job of putting the pointed tops on the pickets with a hand saw, then scraping and wire brushing off the old paint. Dad applied hot linseed oil and then handed me a paint brush. With some 250 feet of that “new” old fence, I found out how quickly fir splinters can fester and how long paint can make a pair of levis last. I spent one whole summer on that project.
To this day, I like picket fences, as long as they are somebody else’s.

Re: Boise-Payette Lumber Yard

I don't remember buying anything from Boise-Payette but I sure bought a lot of lumber from the company they later became--A to Z Lumber. Or was there a another name in between? I remember Leandro Tortorica (sp?) was so friendly and always took good care of me. And of course Barry Peterson. Wasn't there a third owner?

Wasn't A-Z just across the street from the Court House and behind the old City Hall?

Boise-Payette was on the west side of the tracks, just south of the old Mtn. Home Hotel.

And it sticks in my mind that the A was Jim Alexander, who had the lumber yard out toward the city airport.

Was A-Z originally Home Lumber? And didn't Cynthia Carr's family have an interest in it at one time? Seems I remember her working there????

Nope, A to Z and Home Lumber were 2 different entities. And yes Cynthia's Dad ran Home Lumber for many years. As far as I know, Cynthia's brother, Steve is running it now. I'm pretty sure A to Z was at the same location, on the other side of the tracks, since it switched over from Boise Payette. It's out on Airbase Road now. Is that all correct Moose?

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do sorta remember A-Z being just down the street from the Soil Conservation Service/Forest Service offices, which were just west of the underpass. I used to have to go there to pick up stakes and lathe once in a while when I worked for the SCS in the summers of 67 and 68. Cy Higginson was the manager of the SCS office, Herb Edwards ran the ASCS office I think.

And just when I was getting you and Wayne convinved that my memory was amazing

Boise-Payette Lumber Yard

Yes, Bo, You are right on the money. Carr's Home Lumber is across from the court house. It is a modern well stocked lumber yard. I was in there yesterday and the sales girl recognized my Shoshone ghost beads. She knew about the good luck. I gave her the beads when I left. Your photo is of the old A to Z building. Back then Lee Hugentobler, Bob Peterson, Leandro Totorica and Zola, the book keeper, were the owners and operators. I met Leandro's daughters just a few years ago at the Basque picnic. They said I was a ledgend at their house. Leandro was the old school Basque: strong and true. I always tried hard to live up to his expectations. He was a ledgend at my house as well. Jim's Lumber was started by Jim Alexander. His daughter Francie was in our class in school. Jim's three grandsons own and operate Jim's now. One Christmas eve, about dark, iron Mike and I were sitting on the planter in front of the Red Barn, drinking a pop after working all day in the rain on the round house next door. Jim walked into the store, stopped and said that if we didn't have a place to go, we could come home with him. I will never forget his kindness. We are blessed in this desert town to have merchants such as these. All of them have given me help and credit when I needed it. They all care about their town and their neighbors. Life is good.

Thanks Joe, I figured you would have all those details stashed away somewhere in your head. Of course, Lee Hugentobler, how could I forget?