Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Forum: Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mystery solved..the Utoco station

Boy I would like to get into this one, but not today.

tj

Good question...what say you Moose?

Utoco Stations had tracks? I never knew.

Mystery solved..the Utoco station

I think he meant foot print. I remember working on my old 53 chevy rag top on the North side of that gas station when was I was 17. Back then, we worked on our old cars where ever they broke down. Eric Kessel worked there and he helped me with my old car. He is still in town, and he still helps me with my old cars.

Sorry, Wayne. I haven't had a Bud Light in a couple of weeks, which has me a bit off my regular game!
Moose, next time you see Eric, tell him Hi for me. Last time I saw him was when I played my first dance up at Praire with Jim and Warren Lemmon. That had to be around 1980 or 81.
As for the ad in the Prophet, I think the address was Frank Pearce's office address, which was in his house. My Dad did monthly billings for him once in a while, and I kinda remember a big white house with a porch clear across the front, a couple of blocks from the Post Office.
The photo with the above ground tanks was probably of the bulk plant, just east of the railroad tracks and south of the old underpass and Harris Equipment. About where the new underpass is now. If memory serves me right, there was Frank Pearce's yard, one owned by Al Pfost, one by Sam Pierce's Dad, Everett and one by Gayle Knox's Dad, Dale (?).

I think there may have been a second Utoco station in town. It was on the east end of town, between the A&W Rootbeer stand and the KwikCurb. It was on the west side of Highway 30, a sort of truck stop/service station with a single shop bay and a cafe. There was also some truck tire changing equipment on a concrete slab on the east/south end of the building. Merlin Cox and I used to fill up our bike tires from the air hose on the side.
Bet ya didn't know that the KwikCurb is on the National Register of Historic Places and was built in 1955 by John Bermensolo.

Well... now I AM confused. The Kwicurb I recall shows up at 800 North Main in the 64 Prophet which puts it kind of in front of Strato Lanes. When we first came to MH we lived in the little pink cinder block job on Easter Egg Row right across the street while the Johnson Bros. were building our house at 502 N 11th E. I do remember the A & W and the truck stop in the same area. I'm pretty sure we moved into the new house in late '55. Gino's Pizza shows up at 830 North Main which was the A-frame. I always thought John B built just about everything in town besides our place.

In re-reading my post I saw that when I said " same area " I meant out on the other end of town towards Marv's Drive- In on the way to Ferry. Dad and I would somestimes meet his younger bro at the truckstop when he was passing through driving longhaul. Seems like later Spickelmeier's owned that spot. Or at least ran it.

I remember the drive-in out by Easter Egg Row. It also had seating inside. If memory serves me, it either was or at least looked like an old railroad passenger car. The drive-up was on the west side and there was parking on the east side for dine-in. Can't put a name to it, but we used to go there once in a while for chili. They had the little round oyster crackers that floated in the soup. Seems like it became the Chevy dealer (Ganger?) used car lot, but I'm not sure about that.
The A-frame was definitely Gino's pizza, but it seems like they also served broasted chicken, like the old Murrays in downtown Boise did back then.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Tools