Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Richard McKenna

Just in case there is anyone who doesn't know about Richard McKenna...short bio click below.

Re: Richard McKenna

Great article! The Carnegie Library McKenna used to visit was a familiar place for most of us, I suspect. When I first started to check out books in the 4th grade, I thought it was huge. It's really tiny, but a real landmark. I'm glad to see McKenna get more recognition. "Sand Pebbles" was a terrific book and movie. Ford Rainey, another Mountain Home native, a few years older than McKenna, played a major role in the movie. It would be a stretch to think they didn't know each other and I've wondered if the Mountain Home connection didn't feature in Rainey getting that role.

Hmmm, I sure didn't know about Ford Rainey, thanks Tom for passing that on. I looked him up on Wikipedia and he definitely has a familiar face. The odds are just too low for the two of them to bump into each other in Hollywood, no doubt it was the Mtn. Home connection.

Dale Vandegrift, Associate Manager - Our Uncle (Mom's brother). McKenna graduated salutorian. Mom graduated valdictorian.

Remember the many summer days we went to the Gym in that school to play games (ping pong).

Wow, that's cool, thanks Dave. It's a small world after all. Also, we're pretty sure that Helen Latimore was Fred Latimore's mother. Fred was a real estate agent who worked with my Dad a lot. Also, I was a bit surprised to see 2 Basques in 1928, Ines (yes another Iny'!) and John Yturri. I thought the big Basque immigration didn't happen till the 30's, 40's and 50's.
Dave I don't remember playing ping-pong in the old school in the summertime, was I there?

David - Your Mom remains in my personal pantheon of favorite teachers. She was a sweetheart (even though she made me stand in the hallway on occasion).