Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Forum: Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Ye Olde Central School

Susan (the '67 webmaster) and I have been trading old Mtn. Home photos and postcards for a few years. We have several of the old Central School and Susan just recently noticed that the photo on the bottom shows a much smaller building. It's hard to tell from the trees which is the older photo. Was the building added on to later to make it larger? Or was the rear portion torn down later to make it smaller? I'm guessing it was added onto but does anybody know for sure? Does anybody have a more recent photo from around the time when we were there?

A little photo analysis

The trees in the picture of the larger school along the sidewalk and directly in front of the entrance appear to have a few years' growth on them when compared to the smaller school picture. It appears that the city added the extension later. When I attended 4th and 5th grade there, we used to exit for recess out the east side of the building. I don't see that doorway in the picture of the smaller school so the extension appears to me to be a later addition.

Re: A little photo analysis

Just to add to the mix... at some point, years ago, I was told the original building had an indoor gym on the roof which was later removed. The only part of the school that I can think might have been added on was an area on the end toward the Jr. High where we had Music class. In the basement were a couple of small rooms and a shooting range where I qualified for my Marksmanship merit badge. Try imagining a rifle range at a school nowdays. I bet TJ can.

Re: A little photo analysis

Thanks for jogging the memory banks, Wayne. Now that you mention it, I think I took my shooting/safety class in the old Jr. High basement too. Might even have been in your class.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting