Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Class of 65 Cover Photo

I sure wish we still had our 52 Ford Pickup, almost like the one in Richard's photo on the front page of the 65 website, here: http://www.mhhs65.org/

Re: Class of 65 Cover Photo

That is super. Being a car guy, I would even think about trading one of my Mustangs for that or my 30 model A..I would really have to sleep on it though.

Turns out I have a 1950 Ford F1 that looks just like that picture except for the white walls and the chrome grill. Same color. I would really like to trade it for your coupe, Buddy. And I would, except I gave that pickup to Red when she graduated from BSU twenty some years ago. That demon woman loves that truck. So close, yet so far. Richard has a picture of it from a post called Spring in Idaho.

If you ever come across a 52 Ford Flathead V-8 Pickup that has chewing gum and fine copper wire jammed up into the inverted cup on one end of the fuel pump rocker arm that sits on top of the push rod activated by the cam shaft, that's our old pickup. The rod or cup wore down but, literally, chewing gum and wire fixed the problem.

Your age clouds your memory of that old Ford. I remember you had to double-clutch every gear. That would be a royal pain on the Beltway! I also remember sleeping on hay in the bed when we bucked bales on the Prarie (probably a good part of the reason we decided to go to college).

Russ... What was that yacht-size ride you had I think after you got back from the Army??? Seems like it was a Plymouth with a very accomodating back seat. And the old-timer you had in Poky??? Thinking it was a Pontiac with a hood ornament that lit up.

After a while, I could change gears double-clutching just as fast as a regular manual transmission. After shifting several thousand times, my left thigh muscles began to develop in an odd configuration too. I recall trying to load some chaise lounges into it and parking backward at the drive-in to watch the movies reclining, but that didn't work out too well. I think after a night sleeping in the back of it, we opted for the softer lawn of Jesse and Irvy's yard - Mayfield, right?

Ok forget my earlier comment about your memory! It was Mayfield and we did only try to sleep in the truck one night. I did have a white 59 Plymouth affectionately referred to as Moby Dick (the great white whale) when I got back from Army. It did have a great back seat and I think I'll end with that. The 55 Pontiac had an Indian head ornament that lit up. Kitty wouldn't drive it at night!