Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Forum: Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Looking for advice from experienced car guys

One of our family cars was in a rear-ender accident (no injuries), is a constructive total, and must be replaced.

Looking for a good, recent manufacture used car that is:

1. Safe - Not a compact
2. Relatively inexpensive
3. A model that has an excellent maintenance and repair record
4. Gets decent mileage
5. Isn't one of the models that gets stolen routinely
6. Doesn't cost a fortune to insure
7. Preferably American manufactured, but that is not essential

An suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: Looking for advice from experienced car guys

Sounds like something Jesus would drive. I've had pretty good luck over the years with ratings from Consumer Reports on lots of misc. stuff I needed/wanted. They do their own testing and don't accept advertising so should be impartial. My '38 Chevy coupe held up well when I hit that school bus but they are hard to find nowdays. The Chevys I mean. Those **** school buses are everywhere.

Sorry... didn't know you can't say **** on this site.

I recall hearing about that horrendous pile-up which I was given to believe from eye witness accounts was even more dramatic than the railroad overpass derailment.

CR is the first place I go when contemplating a purchase of anything substantial that will part me from my hard-earned jing.

Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, and the random American car here and there seem to be the norm in their best buy ratings. Volvos consistently get excellent crash test ratings, but their maintenance costs over the life of the car tend to be a bit pricy.

Having owned more cars than I can count I guess I qualify as "experienced" (and embarassed)!
My first choice for you would be any of the 3 you mentioned. Kitty drives a Honda Crosstour! Oh yeah it is no coincidence that the top cars on CR lists are also the top cars stolen! They retain their values so are going to be more expensive than a "domestic".
To stay within your list of particulars and if you prefer "domestic" I'd suggest a fairly recent Chevy Malibu or Ford Fusion. Try to find a lease return (not from a rental agency). They will be 2-3 years old with 30,000 to 45,000 miles and with a 4 cyl. motor get 22-28 mpg. They are also cheap (relatively speaking) to purchase and operate. They are boring and every time you turn around you will see another but if transportation is what you need they will work well.
If you're open to imports the Kia/Hyundia twins are hard to beat and so far at least they haven't made the popular theft list.
Always ask for a CarFax report. Generally this will give you a good history of the car.
Have fun!

Email  

My daughter bought a 2002 Hyundai new and it has never been in the shop except for tires and oil changes. Runs great

tj

Thanks to all for the advice. Found a 2004 Volvo S-40 T5 with low mileage and checked out by an independent mechanic. Safe car too. Good city car, especially with the whacked-out drivers to be found in this town. Consumer Reports gives it excellent ratings in almost all categories.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains