Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hassle Tekel

In the early spring of 1977 Red and I started building ourselves a house out on the desert south of Mountain Home. We worked after work and on weekends. By the 4th of July we were ready to frame the roof on. My younger brother, Jack, was in Idaho with a band called the Otis Wheat Band. Bob Duncan put this bunch of guys up in his basement and showed them a good time. Everyone came out to my building site on the 4th of July and we started framing up the roof. I cut the rafters and passed them up to the second floor. My brother, Bill, worked up high and showed this bunch of musicians how to over come fear of heights and nail rafters on. We had a grand time and with Bill's supervision, these musicians did a fine job of framing on that roof. One of the band members was wild man named Hassle Tekel. He was the kind you always remember. On a Friday evening in 1992 we got a call from Hassle. He was playing for Mark Collie in Boise and he invited us out to watch the show and then go back stage. Mark Collie had a very popular song out then called "Even the Man in the Moon is Crying." We had already invited an older Basque couple out to the house for dinner that night. Red had worked with John in Grandview when John managed one of the farms for John Basabe and JR Simplot. We had to choose between a wildly popular singer and his band or dinner with an old Basque couple that we liked and respected. Dinner was great that night and John told some wonderful stories. John and his wife came out to the house last evening and brought us a bag on Basque peppers. These are great fried. I retired at 60 and I wondered if I had hung up my nail bags too soon. When I asked John how old he was when he retired, I was relieved when he said "Sixty." Turns out John's wife retired at 60 as well and so did Red. I felt a lot better. Well, we passed on the opportunity to visit with Mark Collie, but we still are great friends with John and his wife. Life is good.