Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Salinas Local

Red's grandmother lived in Pacific Grove and since I had read Steinbeck, I wanted to live there also. Red and I moved there on a lark and I got a job driving cement truck. I wanted more. Back then all the good construction jobs in California were union, so I went to the Monterey Local and started asking questions. I found if you a journeyman carpenter your name went on a list and you could wait months to be called for a job. An apprentice, still paid well, could go actively looking for work. I decided I was an apprentice. I went to all the job sites looking for work and finally found promise at the Monterey Dunes Colony. The superintendent told me to check back with him and I did every week for two or three months. His name was Joe Sermons we were on a first name basis. Finally one day he told me he needed me and to go sign up with the union. I hustled to the Monterey Local only to be told that this job was out of the Salinas Local. When I got to the Salinas local the boys over there told me that they were not accepting any new apprentices. I explained to them that I already had a job. They explained to me that I was not welcome. Finally, when I wouldn't go away, they sent me in to talk to the Union Stewart. He was telling me the same story when his phone rang. He said, "Yes.. yes.. He is sitting right across from me now. OK." The Union Stewart told me that was Joe Sermons on the phone and I needed to go the counter and sign in. He counter guy was the same guy that had just told me that I wasn't welcome. He now told me to go to Gilroy and sign up for the apprentice program. I hustled out the door and decided to stop and thank Joe on the way to Gilroy. Joe introduced me to the foreman. I told the foreman I had to sign up first for the apprentice program. This big, muscled up foreman gave me a hard look and said, "Do you want to work or not." I grabbed my tools and went to work. I wasn't working long when the foreman brought the union counterman over to talk to me. The union man was mad and said, "I thought I told you to go to Gilroy and sign up for the apprentice program." I didn't know much, but I knew you didn't rat our the foreman. They were both standing there looking at me. I said, "I must have misunderstood." I got a fine butt chewing then I jumped in my old pickup and headed for Gilroy, grinning from ear to ear, I was in. The foreman and I got to be friends and I enjoyed all the talented men I worked with. We were building townhouses on the beach and some of the units were finished and there were girls there cleaning the houses. One day I was packing a load of redwood headed for my work area when I fell in behind a fine looking young cleaning woman. She was perfectly formed and she swayed when she walked. I was mesmerized. She turned and smiled at me and asked me where I was going. It was like cold water was thrown on me. I found that I had followed here through a gate and into a fenced patio area. I didn't remember walking in through that gate. I was totally embarrassed. I panicked and turned, with my load of redwood, and headed back to my work area. I heard her laugh. I sure learned a lot working on that job. Life is good.

Re: The Salinas Local

well I replied twice but this security check won't let me post.

Re: The Salinas Local

Call Wino for tech support.