Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Christmas in Mountain Home

We woke up to our first good snow of the winter yesterday morning. Lots of people went outside enjoying the sun while shoveling snow. It seems everyone who drove by would roll down their window and wave and call a greeting. This is a fine town with some good honest restaurants. We have a new Mexican restaurant, the first building to the right as you enter town. I noticed yesterday that the wait staff wears matching slacks and t shirts with the logo. They look classy. The food is good and my order was big enough to feed a family of four. Mr Lau told me yesterday that Ling Wong's sister, Ping, will be taking over the Red Pavilion, formerly the Golden Crown. Red and I ate in there recently and the cook sent out a complimentary order of sesames seed rolls. Nice treat. Ping speaks Mandarin and I only speak a little Cantonese. I can see my work is cut out for me. I remember going into the Golden Crown kitchen for a little something to eat and I found Mr Lau and Tommy Wong having lunch. I pulled up a five gallon bucket for my seat, loaded my bowl, and joined them. They were speaking English. Later I asked Mr Lau why they were speaking English. He said Tommy speaks a rural dialect and it is easier to just speak English. Tommy Wong is a respected member of our community: people are proud that they know him. Tommy Wong was born in 1933, he was orphaned, and his grandfather sent for him in 1947. Tommy's grandfather had a Chinese restaurant is Wendell, Idaho, and he sold his share of the restaurant and moved, with Tommy, to Mountain Home. Vic Lasuen, an enterprising Basque, had a restaurant called the Manhattan. Vic sold his restaurant to a Chinese guy and the Chinese guy sold the restaurant to Tommy's grandfather. Tommy's grandfather wanted to be sure Tommy had a livelihood. The Manhattan is part of the Mellon Hotel. I needed to talk to Tommy the other day and so I called Mr Lau and he told me how to find Tommy on any given day. This is a fine town with a rich history. It was down around zero this morning and my Border Collie pup, Molly, and the cat had not come for breakfast by 6:30. I was starting to worry. I walked out to garage out back and found them sleeping together on an electric heated mat that I had put out the day before. Turns out everything is working like it should. Life is good.