Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hey Joe

I saw your picture in the Mtn. Home Museum newsletter in which you professed to find the Chinese tunnels that are allegedly running under Mt. Home. I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for...because I want to see them too! Hopefully you can prove for once and for all that they really exist. Good Luck!!

Hey Joe

The old Mountain Home Library is now our museum. I was working there last fall on the portico, rebuilding the front columns. The museum curator, Debbie, came outside to check on me. The men that work the trades appreciate a little water, the offer of food or just directions to the bathroom. Just out of curiously I asked her if she had any information on the old Chinese tunnels under Mountain Home. She had heard rumors, like the rest of us, but nothing beyond talk. I suggested we research the tunnels ourselves and she readily agreed. I told her I needed a badge to be taken seriously. First, she got me business cards, and then a lanyard, she thought the badge a little overboard. Our first efforts were fruitless. The local businesses, in the historic downtown district, were not eager to let us explore their basements or crawl spaces. We had no plan and we were getting nowhere. Debbie said, "We need to have a meeting." There were only two of us and at first I did not understand that she was trying to add structure to our research. Early this spring our first meeting was scheduled for Monday at 9:00 in the museum basemen. We were kicking ideas around when we decided we needed to talk to Doctor Johnny B. We could not find his phone number so I called Sheriff Rick Layher. I knew that Rick and Johnny B. were close at one time. Rick had been the Sheriff in Elmore County for about 30 years, and ten years as a patrolman before that. He had retired about a year earlier. I told Rick what we were doing and he came right over. It didn't take much to persuade Rick to join our research team. Now there were three of us. Rick was trained as a detective, and I did not know until Rick joined our team, how different detectives think and approach a mystery. Rick also has people skills and he is patient. He got us into some of the buildings that had been reluctant to let us snoop around. Gentle reader, I am pretty sure your eyes are starting to glaze over by now, with all this chatter. Let us pick this thread up another time. Life is good.