Return to Website

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board

A Friendly Gathering Spot for Members of the MHHS Classes of 64 and 65 and Anyone Else Who Attended MHHS.

Mountain Home High School Classes of 1964 and 1965 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mike Arrillaga

Mike Arrillaga was born in Boise in February 1947. He passed away October 5th of this year at his home in Mountain Home. He was 71 years old. That doesn't seem so old at our age. Mike had a ready smile and a whacky sense of humor. He was well liked by all his classmates. Andy helped with the service, then she gave a fine talk. It seems like she is always there for all of us. Chuck King was our class president and he got up and spoke. Chuck is a fine speaker also and he mentioned mutual old friends, Ken Weathers and Steve Williams. They were with us also that day. They talked about Mike's education, sports and time in the Navy. Mike had only one woman that he loved for 47 years, Loraine. They had a son and a daughter they were proud of. They also had a successful trucking business that they started and ran for 35 years. The Priest we had for Mike's service was from Spain, sent here especially to minister to our Basque population. I was surprised at how many of our local Basque are related to Mike through blood or marriage. Jeff spoke and I did not know he was Mike's cousin. At the reception the Priest sat with us for a while. He was dressed in the traditional Franciscan robe. His name is Andrew and Gail Knox tried to explain how to pronounce Andrew in Basque using the ch sound. I got lost early on and called him Itta, Basque for Father, and he responded to me. Itta was bright and friendly and trained as a teacher. I would take any course he taught, but the area of his flock is so broad that he has no time for teaching now. Richard Boesiger came and brought his red head. Richard was close to Mike in grade school and everyone talked about Mike's skill at marbles. Men like Mike and Richard represent the very best of our class. Mike had an old, white 1953 Chevy convertible that he sold my brother Bill. I traded Bill for that car and it was my first car. It had a fine heater, but no back window. This was all fine unless you backed up in the winter time, then it got cold. So many of our classmates gathered for Mike's funeral and reception. I saw Rita Duncan and her mom. I sat with Jo Anchustequi during the service. I knew she would not let me mess that up. When I was a boy I often went to Church. I remember often sitting next to Chris Wooley. She would lean up against me and go to sleep, and drool. Crazy what we remember. Life is good.