Return to Website

The Ninth Georgia Infantry, CSA Forum/Message Board

Welcome ALL, to the Message Board/Forum for the Ninth Georgia Volunteer Infantry, CSA. If you have a question or comment, post it here for all to see. Someone may know the answer!!!

Forum: The Ninth Georgia Infantry, CSA Forum/Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Company D - 9th GA

Kathy,
There are several factors at work here. The 1st is a difference in military terminology. My website is on the 9th Georgia Infantry Regiment, an Army of Northern Virginia unit. Mr. Ray was a member of the 9th Georgia Infantry Battalion, an Army of Tenn. unit. I went to the NPS Soldiers and Sailors site at:
http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.htm
I found a Charles A. Ray, and a W.J. Burden (note, not J.W.)as members of the 9th Georgia Infantry Battalion. A brief history of the 9th Battalion is:

9th Battalion, Georgia Infantry

9th Infantry Battalion [also called 17th Battalion] was organized during the winter of 1861-1862 with five companies. The unit was sent to Tennessee, served in the campaign into Kentucky, then was assigned to General Rains' Brigade. It fought at Murfreesboro and reported 12 casualties. In the spring of 1863 it merged into the 37th Georgia Infantry Regiment. Major Joseph T. Smith was in command.
I then went to a CD version of Lillian Henderson's "Roster of the Confederate Soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865", and found this:
MUSTER ROLL OF COMPANY D, 9th BATTALION
GEORGIA VOLUNTEER INFANTRY
ARMY OF TENNESSEE
ELBERT COUNTY, GEORGIA
ELBERT COUNTY GUARDS
Ray, Charles A.- private April 8, 1862 . Appears only on bounty pay roll dated April 17, 1862 .
In scanning the muster roll of the 9th Battalion, there were several men with the identical record; that is, they appear on a roll of accepting a bounty for joining the unit, then no further record. He does not appear on any other Ga. rolls that I can see. Is it possible that he joined an Alabama unit? I went back to the NPS site, and it picked up this name:
C.A. Ray, Alabama Conscripts. I do not have access to the Ala. records, so don't know for sure if that is the same man......

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Web Hosting