Return to Website

The Ninth Georgia Infantry, CSA Forum/Message Board

Welcome ALL, to the Message Board/Forum for the Ninth Georgia Volunteer Infantry, CSA. If you have a question or comment, post it here for all to see. Someone may know the answer!!!

Forum: The Ninth Georgia Infantry, CSA Forum/Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Members of GA 9th

Paul,

Confederate pensions were awarded by the State that the individual lived in when he made the application, not necessarily the State he fought with. The different Southern States required a form that required the soldier to give some relevant info (unit, service, etc.) and (usually by written affidavit) witneses that knew him, and could vouch for honorable service to the South. In the event the soldier was killed or had died, his widow could make an application, and receive his pension (provided she had not remarried). Most Southern States required that the recipient have practically no assets to be eligible. These forms can have certain information that descendant's find interesting (ie.,where he was when captured, wounded, etc.). If a CSA soldier was living in Georgia, this form would be on file at the Dept. of Archives and History in Atlanta. If interested, let me know, and I'll get you the address.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Where is the best place to get this?

Replying to:

Paul,

Do you have Mr. Chappell's CSA Pension record? These usually list some good geneology info..........

Replying to:

Through reseach I have found out that an Obediah Chappell served in the GA 9th Inf. Co. D. I am trying to find out if he is a relative. I have a great great uncle by the name of Obedia Chappell (b.1839) in Perquimans Co., North Carolina. What is the easiest way to find out if these are the same people? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting