Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
ALDI

Just see Chippy News!
Aldi want to try and get on the site Sainsbury failed to do!
Here we go again!
Maybe ASDA will try soon!

Re: ALDI

Good luck Aldi lets hope something goes there soon. High time Chippy got into the 21st century.

Yes please I would be delighted to see Aldi come to chippy, been to the Banbury store this morning got a weeks shopping for my family of 4 for £75.00 that included washing powder, loo rolls stuff like that. Do gooders and outsiders keep your noses out of it this time.

Ooh great

What next? Cash converter? Cash4gold?

I'm sure it is a fact that ALDI and other low quality, low price supermarkets reduce local house prices...no problem for the people who don't own a house, or have a job but for the rest of us it's bad news!

We need to aim a little higher in chippy....we aren't a town of factory workers anymore!!!

We own our house, & we shop in Aldi & Lidl. Let them come to Chippy. i'm all for it.

Come-on!
Ooh great

What next? Cash converter? Cash4gold?

I'm sure it is a fact that ALDI and other low quality, low price supermarkets reduce local house prices...no problem for the people who don't own a house, or have a job but for the rest of us it's bad news!

We need to aim a little higher in chippy....we aren't a town of factory workers anymore!!!

hahahahahahahaha get ya head out where the sun dont shine

It was the Newcomers & do-gooders that stopped Sainsbury's. As for not being a factory town I always thought Chippy people were proud of the Mill & sorry when it closed. Jobs are always welcome I would have thought. Parker Knoll certainly put a lot of people in work.

about time we had an aldi in chippy all the fuss about co-op expanding when are we going to see it never I say, all the time they object we will never get a choice, people find it cheaper to drive to Banbury than do there shopping in chippy I remember when it was supposed to be factory units on that land to provide employment at lest aldi will provide jobs so bring it on

What a smobby remark from 'Come on' We own our own house and shop at Aldi - we cant all afford the Co-op. As for not being a factory town you must be having a laugh look at the history of the town for heavens sake. The Mill was the life blood of the town and after that PK. Also what about the Hub Iron Works and Hitchmans? Maybe 'Come on' is a newcomber and wouldn't have a clue what I am talking about

Get a grip we dont want another Daylesford Organic type place bring in Aldi for heavens sake and stop being so flipping snobby. Some of us live in the real world where money is tight

Simple move to banbury then!

The reoccurring word in your last post is WAS.. The mill WAS the life blood of chipping norton, Parker knoll WAS a big employer. I really don't have to point out that all these places are closed...
Chipping norton is not an industrial town, the quicker residents come to terms with this the better. The towns great assets such as the lido and the theatre are mostly funded by large donations , not from bitter ex factory workers but wealthy "newcomers" so it is worth noting that these "newcomers"are in fact the new life blood of chipping norton..

If anyone can't afford Sainsburys or co op and are intent on low budget living there is a simple solution. It's called banbury or witney.

Why should people who have lived here all their lives have to move to please snobby newcomers to the town. You shop at your posh shops and leave us to shop where we want and can afford.

I've just got a letter through the door about it. I think it will be good for the town. Aldi do not do big stores and have little interest in non-food so are not a big threat to the town centre. The Banbury Road is a much more suitable sight for a supermarket then London Rd.
Chippy deserves better than it is getting right now, I think Aldi will work well here.

I have already filled my form in to send back in support of it. And that site will be tidied up, give it a couple of years & it will all blend in, after all Stratford now has an Aldi & Bicester has both Aldi & Lidl. Can't wait. But I must add I will still use Sainsbury's.

I find it difficult to reconcile 'Come-on! s' .... "newcomers" are in fact the new life blood of chipping norton.. when... in actual fact its many of the "newcomers" who are objecting to progress by wanting to keep Chippy in the past with small ornate shops, Butchers Bakers and Candlestick makers, they are the ones who want to keep Chippy in the dark ages while the real life blood, the genuine Chippy people want to see the town prosper.

I, too, see no reason why we cannot have an ALDI in Chippy. As others have pointed out, unlike some other supermarket firms, Aldi do not have in-store bakeries, Pharmacies, and such like, but concentrate on good quality products at low prices. Why should people have to travel to Banbury, Witney, or anywhere else to benefit from this. I raely shop at Aldi simply because the nearest one is in Banbury, and I don't relish the thought of bringing my groceries, especially chilled & frozen items, home on the bus, which takes, as most people will know. Haven't posted my card yet (it only arrived this afternoon), but I'll almost certainly reply in favour.

ChippyJames
I've just got a letter through the door about it. I think it will be good for the town. Aldi do not do big stores and have little interest in non-food so are not a big threat to the town centre. The Banbury Road is a much more suitable sight for a supermarket then London Rd.
Chippy deserves better than it is getting right now, I think Aldi will work well here.
I disagree regarding the non-food statement as Aldi sells all sorts i.e. electrical, gardening, bed linen etc. However I don't think they would be a direct threat to the other supermarkets as they have special buys every week so all these things are not always available. I do like to go there for my basics like eggs, milk, flour etc and my hubby as bought a few electrical things there as they are cheap with a 3 year guarantee. I also think the site is a much better one than the site on London road.

I think its rather funny, I am all in favour of an Aldi store but I wonder what those who opposed Sainsbury make of it!

Lets hope common sense prevails and that the needs of us traditional chippyites are met.

What do we want? --- a supermarket as soon as possible.

Ed:
I find it difficult to reconcile 'Come-on! s' .... "newcomers" are in fact the new life blood of chipping norton.. when... in actual fact its many of the "newcomers" who are objecting to progress by wanting to keep Chippy in the past with small ornate shops, Butchers Bakers and Candlestick makers, they are the ones who want to keep Chippy in the dark ages while the real life blood, the genuine Chippy people want to see the town prosper.

could not agree more Ed and lets hope the council agree with us mind you most of the council are newcomers

I didn't want to be in a 2 sainsbury town, especially in a town this size and would have been so close together! Aldi with their no baker, butcher or non food (except for specials) should e good for the town! People complain about canned goods and household items being expensive in the current shops we have at the moment. With the economy as it is at the moment it makes sense! In a few years time when the economy picks up they could sell it to waitrose or m&s food!!

Ed
is it possible to put a voting system on here similar to what Gerry done to see what the public in Chippy want ie aldi
which im for anyway

well done ED now we will see what the public wants , ive just voted yes

to all others see front page for voting

Thanks Ed have voted and also sent the response card back. About time shops had some competition in the town.

Its a big fat yes from me.

Now that Amanda has a house locally perhaps she will vote yes as well!

I have also voted YES to Aldi and sent the reply card back.
I am all in favour of something thats good for the town.
Sainsbury doesnt have a lot of choice, and Co-op is too darn expensive!
Even IF they DO expand their store starting next Month according to Chippy News, i for one would rather shop elsewhere, where the prices are better and choices are good!
Chippy is renowned for its Antique /Junk shops and Charity shops, lets have some decent stores for decent local people!

Chippy needs a supermarket not a discount food store. We need a supermarket by one of the big four, one that will attract people here and if it is close enough to the town centre one that will stimulate trade for shops like Gills. The way Chippy is developing is destroying the whole community, we have too many charity shops, shops, with the exception of Gills and the Butchers, that give the worst customer service probably in the country and show no sign of improving. The last thing we need is a "pile it high and sell it cheap" grocer employing very few people and importing a large part of the product range from Germany.

Let's have a Waitrose or M&S or one of the Big four. They would employ a few hundred have a high level of customer service and bring people to the Town. Yes, in the short term some of the present town centre shops might go but who is going to mourn the loss of WH Smith or Nashs or even the Co Op. Aldi is not progress it would cement Chippy into a declining town.

Oh come on - one of the 'big four' wanted to come here and what happened. It got turned down. Any competition surely is better than none. Look at Witney they have Waitrose, M&S, Debenhams all in the same town as 99p store Lidl etc. Give everyone a chance. Would you also rather have empty shops for months where charity shops are?

We do not want to be a yuppy town, part of the 'Chipping Norton Set' We want to get back to being a town where we can get whatever we want without travelling to other nearby towns. Houses are being built on any tiny plot and we have no expansion of services to keep people in the town.

If scoots or whatever their name is shout this time we will just have to make sure we shout louder

Tee Hee hee,
here we go again!
Right, sit up and pay attention!!! That means you at the back !!
1. Since when has it been a crime to provide for yourself or your family at the lowest price possible, in an establishment of your own choosing?
2. Since when has the wish of the people ( democracy ) taken second place to crass snobbery and stupidity? ...... oh come on!
3. Since when has importing goods from Germany been an offence. "The Big Four" import MOST of their products from the rest of the planet and DO NOT predominantly source locally or even from Britain!!
4. Since when has wanting to provide some job security for those who actually want to/need to work been a crime!!
5. For those in favour of ALDI anonymity is not an issue on this website! For those against.......cowardly to hide behind faceless pseudonymns!!! As yet NO official imput from any of the fools ( SCOOT ) that cost our town the chance to have a larger Sainsburys!!

Simple solution: If you want/have no objections to an "out of town supermarket"........vote for it and support the cause!!
If you don't want/object to it, Just DON'T BLOODY SHOP THERE!!!!

Lesson over, now off you go and don't forget to do your homework!!!

P.s Hope ALDI don't do a coffee shop, a second hand or a "crappy nik naks that no one wants or needs" section!!

nicely put roll up.
the sooner we get it the better for every one

A problem with the big "4" is they base their prices on what they can extract from the local population, for example as one 'TESCO' employee from a store many,many miles from here was staggered at the high cost of food at TESCO's at Stow, saying it was the 2nd most expensive TESCO's in the country, why? Because of the wealthy population in the Stow area, something that our local supermarkets are aware off and charge accordingly.

The bonus of having ALDI in Chipping Norton will mean Sainsbury's and Co-op WILL have to lower prices, something the most ardent ALDI deniers will benefit from, and quite possibly attract more customers to their shops.

tesco has a country wide pricing policy. superstores and extras have the same price on all goods. expresses and metro stores may have a higher price than superstores because of "convienience on the high street". they dont have a store specific pricing policy. products in stow cost the same as in banbury, stratford or evesham. where they got "the second expensive in the company" is moderately priced bolony!!

Great news co-op have announced that they plan to build a new underground train system simaliar to London or Paris there will be stations at London rd Cornish rd the leys and over norton it will be also be linked to the London underground and be a extra station for Eurostar work will begin soon but will be dependant on aldi being turned down ?DEJA VU ?

Well put roll up.

ALDI is not the right supermarket for this town! I am not against a supermarket here in Chippy, I supported the Sainsbury bid, I am just not in favour of an ALDI.

Over the years there have been repeated demands for shops providing "cheap" children's clothes and shoes. Well the only way these are going to be available in Chippy is if we have one of the big four. No little shop is ever going to operate selling such goods alone - the economics just do not add up; if they are going to be on sale here then it has to be as part of the offering of a Sainsbury, Tesco or ASDA.

Yes as SCOOTS claimed such a store might lead to the closure of a few of the present retailers but that is a fact of life, to get what you want you may have to sacrifice something you already have.

Let's hope ALDI is refused and Sainsbury or one of the other big boys reappear and build a Superstore on the old PK site.

I am not against a supermarket in Chippy, just not an Aldi. My experience of this shop is little choice, unknown brands and a lot of junk in the middle of the isles. I would still need to go out of Chippy to do a decent shop. I think Chippy can do better than an Aldi.

It's a shop, just like many other shops it doesn't appeal to everyone, so why on earth does a select few think they have the right to deny others where they shop and more to the point why other shop keepers think they can dictate where we spend our money? Can you imagine Travis Perkins go running to the council demanding Jewson's be banned because it could affect their businesses or a plumber demanding the council prevent another plumber from starting in business.

Perhaps the public should have a say just who should open a shop in Chippy, a few of the shop keepers just might find out they are not really wanted and that most people would like shops that sell things they want and not the town being taken over by arty pointless nick nack shops thinking they are the towns all important business elite we can't do without.

Ed,
Nobody would deny that competition benefits everyone and my opposition to ALDI is not based on the competition they would bring to the existing Chippy businesses. My opposition stems from my considered opinion that ALDI is the WRONG supermarket for Chippy. We need a supermarket that provides the broadest range of products - some clothing and children's school wear, some household goods and electricals as well as a range of food that covers the widest spectrum of demand; the breadth that a ASDA, Sainsbury or Tesco can offer. ALDI provide non of these, they are a BASIC food shop but unknown brands of baked beans, tinned tomatoes and the like are not going to attract the people Chippy needs as shoppers.

Whether we like it or not CHIPPY is no longer an industrial town! Witney has decreed through the approach to development in the town that we are not going to get industry or commerce that will employ many people. Such developments will go to Witney and Carterton. Chipping Norton Town Council, because of the present Councillors have no influence at WODC and will not be capable of influencing decisions. Chippy Council and residents should focus on making the town vibrant with good high quality retailers, (there is already a nucleus , Gills,Corbetts Electrical and Wine Bear in West Street,the butchers and Jaffe and Neal bookshop) and we should encourage quality housing as our current concentrated focus on "affordable housing" is not attainable with local land prices; we should aim to be the Henley of North Oxfordshire. At the moment we are heading in exactly the opposite direction and even failing at that!

Henley, Witney, Carterton........my arse!!!
Why are we not aiming to retain our identity as Chipping Norton?
Perhaps if the fools hadn't stopped this progress by exorcising Sainsbury's ( they might have installed a handy branch of the River Thames in the high street as a sweetener ) this bun fight may not exist!!
How many other small towns have childrens clothes shops etc etc etc.....very few I'm guessing. How many small towns are overrun with coffee shops and nik nak shops etc etc etc.....too many I'm guessing!!
The point is this......Progress is needed everywhere and that most certainly includes Chipping Norton. Perhaps if the rents on our high street premises were not so extortionate and not owned and controlled by "the greedy few", it might be a more viable business proposition for those that actually want to provide the sort of trading that EVERYONE wants and needs!!
Children and mens clothes aside, what else are we actually missing in town?
It doesn't matter which retailer wants to come here and trade "out of town", the issue is the wrong people stopping it for the wrong reasons!!

Now can I please get back to my Skinny Latte.....

Stratford on Avon have Waitrose, M&S, Tesco and also ALDI. They all survive and if posh Stratford can have Aldi why should Chippy have the snobby brigade decrying it? Get real folks we all shop where we want its called competition and if you dont like a shop dont use it but dont stop others.

I dont use the many coffee shops in town or the tacky expensive nick nack shops but they are here and I just walk past them - if you dont want Aldi just drive past it (and watch the rest of us go in).

Well Said 60s Girl !

HERE HERE

I totally agree, as do some 40 or more people who have voted in the poll on the news page. If that proportion of all local residents are in favour of ALDI coming to Chippy, it means that around 3000 or more agree that they should be here, so, if we believe in majority rule then they should be.
In addition, why shouldn't the quality of their products be just as good as that of the well-known brands. They're all mass produced anyway, no doubt, despite what some manufacturers claim, sometimes in the same factories which produce the big name brands. Those who remember Gateway will recall that they had a range of products with brand names not found anywhere else. Admittedly, unlike ALDI, they did sell 'household name' goods, too.

Surely, the poll mainly reflects the cross section of readers of the forum rather than representing the general populace of the town. I would imagine a large percentage of the forum readers are retired or stay at home Mums, to whom an Aldi would maybe appeal more than the younger, working people who may have more disposable income, please correct me if I'm wrong. It's just an opinion, but I think that you have to be very careful generalising on the basis of 50 people from one particular social group....
Personally, if I wanted to buy cheap, non-branded products in tins or boxes, I will know where to go for them but I will continue to shop at the butchers, deli, fishmongers and at supermarkets with fresh fruit and vegetables in the town.

Any worries about ALDI, just look at this,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344479/Aldi-sees-Waitrose-win-best-supermarket-award-second-time-weeks-judges-declare-prices-dont-compromise-quality.html

It actually says sees OFF Waitrose.

I have an idea for all the against brigade. Keep your Waitrose bags and use them when you shop at Aldi!!!!!

I have actually seen that don ein the banbury store, people go in get their groceries and then pack up by their cars and use waitrose and m&s bags it so funny. I have never had a problem with any of the products from Aldi in fact a lot of them are better that some branded products. Supermarket of the year 2013!!!!

Regarding the poll, several people in this household agree and want Aldi and have tried to use this internet connection, unfortunatly my provider does not see different email/accounts/ names so refuses to acknowledge different people.

Likewise as everyone knows Aldi only sent one voting paper to each household so more than one customer per household does not get a vote so therefore everyone must urge other members of their family to visit the Aldi exhibition on Friday and Saturday.

Undoubtably SCOOTS may be out in force, if so may I suggest any Aldi supporters harrased by these people give as good as you get1 and if any shops display anti Aldi slogans, make a point you will boycote their shops.

As for the claim of cheap foreign food particularly tinned food, all the big 4 sell imported foreign food and if you remenber the said they has to buy foreign because british suppliers could not meet demand particularly Horse meat. Besides Caviar and Foir Gra from also come in tins, particularly from Russi and France.

Everyone has the right to their oppinion. Mine is that I don't want an Aldi, but a supermarket such as Sainsburys or Waitrose that I'd prefer to shop in. If Aldi comes to chippy, fine, but I'll continue going to Witney or Banbury to do my weekly shop. I know many people who have the same oppinion, just not on this forum.

You don't want an Aldi that's fine, I would only hope you don't spoil it for others that do.

As for Waitrose and a bigger Sainsburys, just remember who stopped that?

And likewise I also have heard from many, people I would never expected prepared to support the application.

As said before, if you don't want to shop at aldi, vote with your feet.

I won't vote with my feet. I have a voice and I will use it. I don't want to travel out if town to shop so I will continue to voice my oppinion.

Ed, I totally agree with you, let ALDI come to Chippy. This will widen the choice available. Those who don't want to shop there don't have to.

You all say you supported Sainsburys but at the meeting in the Town Hall my husband was the only one there, and soon got shouted down by all the 'Scoots'. I popped into Tesco in Banbury yesterday, there for about 30mins and cannot believe how many people I saw from Chippy. So people will continue to shop in Banbury if we do not get what we want here. So we must stand and be counted this time and make it clear what we want.

mikegee
Ed, I totally agree with you, let ALDI come to Chippy. This will widen the choice available. Those who don't want to shop there don't have to.
. That's my point. With Aldi there is no wide choice.

Shopalot,
Voicing ones opinion at the town hall to the council was and is a waste of time and journey, as I have reported before the council's views count for diddly squat, trust me i know, WODC sends the council planning applications for 'there consideration only' it is nothing more than courtesy from WODC, the Sainsbury' application was turned down by WODC because they diddn't want it in Chippy nothing to do with the council, and if I remember the meeting was rallying call
by the anti's so your husband was onto a hiding for nothing.

Dog Man
mikegee
. That's my point. With Aldi there is no wide choice.

Well if you are comparing Aldi to Tesco's you are right, Tesco has a whole isle selling crisps and cheesy wotsits compaired to Aldi and a choice of 2 or 3 tins of tomatoes compaired to Tesco's many choices of imported tins, how many do you need? Mind you most of Aldi's veg is English.

If you like cheesy wotsits and tinned tomatoes you'll be fine, but those of us that like to cook will be stuffed. Nice to know that most of the fruit and veg are English though most if the branded foods are imported from other countries.

You say it's nice to know the veg is English suggests you don't or have never shopped there, meat, milk, bread cheeses are British, many British suppliers are little known because they cannot supply the big 4 the quantities they require.

As for foreign food, they sell imported Italian pasta's and cheeses the same you would buy in Italy. Unlike 'fake' lasagna mass produced by British manufacturers masquerading as genuine Italian food.

You say you like cooking, then Aldi sell food for making your own meals rather than banks of fridges and freezer of ready made meals, it would be fair to say you can buy many components for cooking without being ripped off, the shop no way competes with the big 4 except price.

I use Aldi washing up liquid which I find the best on the market and certainly beats Fairy any day. There laundray products are also very good and I believe produced by Lever Bros. The concentrated orange squash is excellant and I have never had a tough or bad piece of meat from there. Each to their own but if people go out of their way to stop Aldi coming to the town I think they are a miserable lot.

Lets all shop where we want - I dont use Daylesford Organics but could if I wanted it to. You dont have to use Aldi but you could if you wanted to.

aldi and lidl both have higher standards from there meat than tescos sainsburys an waitrose. was told this by a man i did work for who is a meat buyer for all the above

People need to get the idea out of their heads that Aldi is a second rate supermarket and that the only people who go there are struggling to make ends meet. There fruit and veg is always great so is their meat and deli products, a tin of beans is a tin of beans wherever you shop. Which supermarket was it selling horse burgers.....Errrr Tescos wasn't it quickly followed by sainsburys and then the co op. Aldi is what it is no frills shopping and I for one am a fan I have a family to feed, people who buy only branded items must be mad. Just give Aldi a go if you don't like it then that's fine continue to shop where you like but please don't stop it coming to Chippy. Sainsburys was stopped by outsiders and do gooders and if Chippy continues to grow (new housing estate at the bottom of hailey rd) it will be needed.

Shaz is incorrect.
A tin of beans is not just a tin of beans. The quality varies from brand to brand. The expensive ingredient is the sauce and not the beans. Cheaper brands have the beans soaked for longer, this means they weigh heavier so there will be fewer beans in the can and the expensive tomato puree, which is the high cost item is more diluted in cheaper brands. I leave it to readers to decide which brands are which.

I still support the coming of ALDI to Chippy. Those who don't want to shop there don't have to, so why try to prevent these developments happening for those who do?

I'm not going to have an arguement about beans, I think my last comment said it all if you try and you like thats great if you dont try you'll never know, and if you don't like it then stay away but don't spoil it for the majority.

i went to aldi's presentation yesterday and voted yes to them coming to chippy, i shop there in banbury every week so it will save me a 30 mile round trip, bring it on!

I gave my support Friday and was pleased to know they had recived overwealming support and was very encouraged by the response.

They had a selection of products which we learnt that even though much af their brands were unheard off, much of it was produced by major manufacturers such as Mcvities who make their digestive biscuits with Aldi's name on the packaging, also we learnt Aldi's washing powders are made by Lever bros.

I will soon put up a link to their site so anyone who didn't get there can post their views online.

Poll is now closed, as everyone can see 84% supports the creation of a new Aldi store, as for the other 16% - same people voting again and again

I own my own house and was born in chippy. And welcome aldi. Were you born here come on?

The question you should've asked cnbornnbred is ' will your house overlook the Aldi store?

What on earth does didn't marry my cousin mean, and what does that have to do with Aldi. I take it that is what you think of the good old born and bred. I have lived here a very long time and not met anyone married to their cousin.

Shopalot
What on earth does didn't marry my cousin mean, and what does that have to do with Aldi. I take it that is what you think of the good old born and bred. I have lived here a very long time and not met anyone married to their cousin.

because the previous poster implied that because I wasn't born here I have less of an opinion about what shops should be here, I found it insulting, backwards and slightly incestuous, hence my referral to "marrying ones cousin".

Come-on.
I again removed your post though not for your initial views but the part concerning CETA.

Gerry had the same views as you regarding this published on his blog/forum, leading to expensive litigation from CETA.

As forum and blog editor I’m not going to be held responsible for your comments however much I agree with you, for once we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

If you must post this please add your name and contact details so CETA can issue proceedings against you directly not me.

Perhaps you would like to take it up with Joe if he gets elected.

And repost the first bit if you must.

Ed:
Come-on.
I again removed your post though not for your initial views but the part concerning CETA.

Gerry had the same views as you regarding this published on his blog/forum, leading to expensive litigation from CETA.

As forum and blog editor I’m not going to be held responsible for your comments however much I agree with you, for once we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

If you must post this please add your name and contact details so CETA can issue proceedings against you directly not me.

Perhaps you would like to take it up with Joe if he gets elected.

And repost the first bit if you must.

Glyn

(I cant believe i am going to say this) fair enough, I agree with you.

Here we go again. Seen in a shop in town today a notice saying no to Aldi. Cant quite understand the owners change of heart as 2 weeks ago he told me had has no objection to it.

Now go and tell him you will and get others who support Aldi to boycott him.

Ed:

That's abit strong, he's entitled to an opinion! So should people who do not want an ALDI boycott this forum because you support ALDi?

I am having great difficulty in understanding the logic behind some comments on this website. Certain people seem quite happy to have Aldi come to the town, despite the fact that it has German roots, and therefore not 'born and bred' in Chippy. Joe Johnson, who was 'born and bred' in Chippy but currently lives just a few miles up the road does not pass muster. How does this work?

Come-on!
Ed:

That's abit strong, he's entitled to an opinion! So should people who do not want an ALDI boycott this forum because you support ALDi?

Of course he's entitled to his opinion as everyone else is, but Aldi supporters are not actively campaigning to close his shop are they?

Just think on it, what if EVERY shop in town had to first apply to the council to open? Many wouldn't make it to first base, certainly have little support and if you think about it the only reason Aldi has to apply is because of it's 'new build' had they moved into a building that was used previously as a shop you couldn't stop them.

Now wouldn't that be ironic if Chipping Norton Builders won the contract or because of the campaign against it, lost the contract, who would be popular then?

As for 'So should people who do not want an ALDI boycott this forum because you support ALDi?'

It's up to them, Forums are for people to debate that's what Forums are for, so you can air your views besides, YOU don't want Aldi Come-on! but you can't keep away from the this forum.

Schultz
I am having great difficulty in understanding the logic behind some comments on this website. Certain people seem quite happy to have Aldi come to the town, despite the fact that it has German roots, and therefore not 'born and bred' in Chippy. Joe Johnson, who was 'born and bred' in Chippy but currently lives just a few miles up the road does not pass muster. How does this work?

A bit like buying a Mini isn't it??

Ed:
Come-on!
Ed:

Of course he's entitled to his opinion as everyone else is, but Aldi supporters are not actively campaigning to close his shop are they?

Just think on it, what if EVERY shop in town had to first apply to the council to open? Many wouldn't make it to first base, certainly have little support and if you think about it the only reason Aldi has to apply is because of it's 'new build' had they moved into a building that was used previously as a shop you couldn't stop them.

Now wouldn't that be ironic if Chipping Norton Builders won the contract or because of the campaign against it, lost the contract, who would be popular then?

As for 'So should people who do not want an ALDI boycott this forum because you support ALDi?'

It's up to them, Forums are for people to debate that's what Forums are for, so you can air your views besides, YOU don't want Aldi Come-on! but you can't keep away from the this forum.

Don't be too hasty!

To clarify

The employment for chippy I want YES
Investment in chippy I want YES
Choice and value in Chippy I want YES
Competition in Chippy I want YES

I just worry that someone at ALDI decided chipping norton was their perfect demographic. They seem abit low on aspiration.
If it was a waitrose, an M+S or a sainsburys I'd welcome them with open arms.

This weekend I am going to ALDI in Banbury to try it, I do however remain open-minded.

We too are going to check out Aldi in Banbury to do a price / quality comparison. Will post our findings once we've been.

I just wonder why 'Come-on' would welcome Waitrose, M&S, etc., but doesn't seem to want ALDI in Chippy? What's wrong with having a lower-priced alternative store in town? BTW I speak as a long-time member of the Co-op, and shop there frequently. As everyone surely knows, the Sainsbury's plan was turned down anyway, and is probably unlikely to be revived.

Because Waitrose and M+S are aspirational brands, ALDI has a cheap, council estate reputation.
If i was looking to move to a town and it had an ALDI, i would think twice. Maybe it is unfounded but I am not alone in thinking this. Someone in social housing, trying to save 5p on a tin of beans so they can then buy a £6 packet of fags probably wouldn't care about the impact on house prices but I do.

Come-on!
Because Waitrose and M+S are aspirational brands, ALDI has a cheap, council estate reputation.
If i was looking to move to a town and it had an ALDI, i would think twice. Maybe it is unfounded but I am not alone in thinking this. Someone in social housing, trying to save 5p on a tin of beans so they can then buy a £6 packet of fags probably wouldn't care about the impact on house prices but I do.

think someone needs to pull the silver spoon out there arse..... look around you times are hard. people are trying to save money where ever they can now adays. 'aspirational brands' yeah what ever ya paying for a name. aldi and lidl have higher expectations from some of there products than waitrose an m+s. time u removed ya tunnel vision vision stuck up glasses an looked at the real word.

do you smoke?

I don't smoke, and never have, and I still don't understand the opposition to stores such as ALDI. Surely most people like to save money whenever/wherever they can, and would welcome such a store in Chippy?

so you would prefer to save a few quid in ALDI and lose £5000 or £10000 on your house price? I cant see the logic there..

Actually, I can't see why having an ALDI in town would depress house prices, although they are high enough here anyway.

Have house prices in Stratford Upon Avon Gone down??

Well said Grandma Bee. Time Come On got off his high horse.

It's time the likes of Oh Come On either put up or shut up!!!!!
Make yourselves known.............house prices my arse!!!!!

Grandma Bee
Have house prices in Stratford Upon Avon Gone down??

No because they have a nice new Waitrose..

roll up, roll up, roll up

OK, may I ask why you have not shared your name? slightly hypocritical..

roll up, roll up, roll up

im going to hazard a guess you smoke and you dont own your own house...

For goodness sake I'm out the room for a few hours and your all acting like children.

No words like arse, it's bottoms if you don't mind nor S*** the word to use is poo its much more civilised.

Back to Come-on's anti Aldi view, the vast majority of Chippy supported the Sainsbury's application, it was many of the newcomers and new shop owners along with the Conservative led WODC that scuppered that, had it gone through this discussion would probably not be taking place.

Ed:
For goodness sake I'm out the room for a few hours and your all acting like children.

No words like arse, it's bottoms if you don't mind nor S*** the word to use is poo its much more civilised.

Back to Come-on's anti Aldi view, the vast majority of Chippy supported the Sainsbury's application, it was many of the newcomers and new shop owners along with the Conservative led WODC that scuppered that, had it gone through this discussion would probably not be taking place.

I'm not anti ALDI I'm anti cheap tat, that's different
What's with all this "newcomer" rubbish? Newcomers have the same rights as everybody else
The conservative in the whole supported Sainsburys ! Some none supporters were even told to follow the whip and support it!
The issue for everyone I know who didn't support Sainsburys was that they had inadequate parking and they planned to have traffic priority on trinity road, this would have meant anyone living on the development to wait for a gap in the traffic and have staff cars parked all over the place ( because there was no provision for staff parking)
Had this been rectified I know of at least 90-100 people who would have changed their view on the proposed plan.

We own our own house an neither of us smoke. We have financial issues so any way to save or keep some money helps. We visited Aldi earlier today. Filled a trolley to just over half full and it was only just under £40. Same like for like was nearer £80 in bigger stores. We have tried some of the produce bought (including fresh veg, fruit and meat) and there is very little difference.

Come-on!
Ed:

I'm not anti ALDI I'm anti cheap tat, that's different
What's with all this "newcomer" rubbish? Newcomers have the same rights as everybody else
The conservative in the whole supported Sainsburys ! Some none supporters were even told to follow the whip and support it!
The issue for everyone I know who didn't support Sainsburys was that they had inadequate parking and they planned to have traffic priority on trinity road, this would have meant anyone living on the development to wait for a gap in the traffic and have staff cars parked all over the place ( because there was no provision for staff parking)
Had this been rectified I know of at least 90-100 people who would have changed their view on the proposed plan.

Sainsbury’s had provisions for 270 parking places, more than both town centre car parks, as for staff parking-

ALL new-build must provide parking for its employees including supermarkets, PK did and had the offices been built on that land like WODC proposed parking was provided for their employees like Cromwell Park.

The road layout was changed after consultation with residents so that Sainsbury’s traffic did not use the entire length of Trinity road unlike if offices had been built there they would have used the whole length.

At the moment it is residents of Trinity road and Parker Circus that park there.

The junction was going to be widened and altered at Sainsbury’s expense to make it safer for everyone.

Sainsbury’s was also going to pay for the crossing; instead the County Council paid c£25.000 for it to be installed, money that could have gone towards resurfacing Walterbush road.

Sainsbury’s was prepared to let the parents use their car park while dropping-off and collecting their children, thus releving the horrendous traffic problem caused twice a day also they wouldn’t be parking in Trinity road like they do now additionally they were prepared to construct an access to the school so the kids need not go near the road.

Sainsbury’s loading bay was separate from the shop entrance (unlike Co-op) and would not use Trinity road.

Sainsbury’s was prepared under the 106 agreement to pay to have the road junction between Banbury, London, Over Norton road and Horse Fair modified to make it safer, long overdue.

Looks like you need to tell 90-100 people they’ve had the wool pulled over their eyes.

One last thing you say: ‘The conservative in the whole supported Sainsbury’s! Some non-supporters were even told to follow the whip and support it!’ (How would you know that?) That strikes me that if the high-and-mighty can’t influence the decision then what is the point of voting for someone??

When the Co-op expand it will mean 3 empty shops in the town (travel agent, post office and chemist). Surely that wont be good for a town that objected to a Sainsburys because of shop closures.

Elderly, infirm and people with buggies all will have to use either lift, escalator or steps.

If the reason that some object to ALDI coming to Chippy is that it will be 'out of town', coyuld they not consider taking over the ex- Autospares Shop?
I guess that (a) Lack of Suitable Parking - unless there is space available behind the shop, and (b) Although quite large, that shop may not be big enough
might count against this happening, though presumably unless some big firm buys or rents the West Street Shop, it's either going to remain empty for a very long time, or be converted into housing or offices.
Another thought occurred to me is that if, many years ago now, would certain people (e.g. 'come-on')have objected if Woolworths had wanted to open a Chipping Norton shop, because they were one of the first 'budget' stores.
The answer to that will never be known, of course!

Sorry Mike 'Come on' cant reply to you question today - hes too busy shopping at Aldi!

mikegee
If the reason that some object to ALDI coming to Chippy is that it will be 'out of town', coyuld they not consider taking over the ex- Autospares Shop?
I guess that (a) Lack of Suitable Parking - unless there is space available behind the shop, and (b) Although quite large, that shop may not be big enough
might count against this happening, though presumably unless some big firm buys or rents the West Street Shop, it's either going to remain empty for a very long time, or be converted into housing or offices.
Another thought occurred to me is that if, many years ago now, would certain people (e.g. 'come-on')have objected if Woolworths had wanted to open a Chipping Norton shop, because they were one of the first 'budget' stores.
The answer to that will never be known, of course!

I'm pretty sure the Electrical chain Rumbalows opened their first store in Chippy?

1 2