Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hailey Road Shop

Whats going on with this shop?? No stock of basic essentials for quite a while now :(

Re: Hailey Road Shop

ive been told that another firm are going to take it over , i think costco ?

Ah I'd heard several stories. Also heard Londis mentioned. I've been in several times to buy the odd item forgotten when done a big shop over last couple of months and each time shelves / fridges getting more and more empty

wilma carwork

C'mon Wilma now's your chance, chip shop on the side an you will be minted - or skint.

I would love the shop as is should be a gold mine run right , but im not londis/Costco

I wondered why it was closed just before 6PM yesterday. Looking through the window I could see that several shelves were empty. In addition, as I guess most people know, their large chiller cabinets have been out of service for about 3 months, and little progress seems to have been made in fitting out the shop, which could be a very good local 'mini supermarket' if & when all the above is sorted out.

Ed:
wilma carwork

C'mon Wilma now's your chance, chip shop on the side an you will be minted - or skint.

A fish and chip shop would be great up this end of town

Shop in darkness earlier. Southern Electric vans outside. Wonder what was going on?

My Daughter called in there earlier to buy a bottle Coke,the place in darkness, water everywhere- NO COKE
Man in shop they had 2 fire engines there this morning to put out a fire!

Ah so guess there won't be full shelves for a while yet. Was hoping at least the milk and soft drinks would be back in stock. again. Wonder if it will be closed whilst they repair any damage.

Shop was all shut up earlier when we drove past. No note on shutters that we could see. Any one know what's happened?

It still appeared to be shut at about 7.05PM This evening, too. Anyone know what's going on?

Closed earlier this morning too I noticed whilst walking dog. No note on shutters!

All closed up earlier today. Other half saw police outside yesterday!

still no electic in main shop so no lights or chillers shop has to close at dusk due to no lighting. till an pdq powered from up stairs. poor state of affairs

Has anyone asked them what is going on? Never been in the shop but is it part of a group e.g. Spar etc? If so contact their head office and ask.

60's Girl
Has anyone asked them what is going on? Never been in the shop but is it part of a group e.g. Spar etc? If so contact their head office and ask.

I haven't asked, but, as far as I know, the company is Barrons Retail, but the shop is run as a Franchise or independant store. However I've looked up 'Barrons Retail. Barron's Retail, Baron's Retail and Barons Retail on Google & Yahoo and found nothing related to the Hailey Road Shop on the 'net!

I've been told that they have power problems and are waiting for a new supplier to start so its a situation in hand, hopefully won't be too long

Try looking up BARONS RETAIL LIMITED

Ben E Wriggle
Try looking up BARONS RETAIL LIMITED

I have just looked them up and found that thecompany is registered in Aldermaston, Berkshire, and that it is 'Active-proposal to strike off'

I haven't been into the shop for some weeks, but it still appears to be low on stock, if the view through the window is anything to go by. What's happening?
When is it likely to re-open, if at all??

Hello
I've been told that they have power problems and are waiting for a new supplier to start so its a situation in hand, hopefully won't be too long

have they not heard of genarators for electric or run a cable from upstairs

pete woodward
I would love the shop as is should be a gold mine run right , but im not londis/Costco

if you need a buisness partner im in

There is an offer already from someone 110K for the lease, rent of £19K per annum

Two large notices have appeared in the shop window stating 'Back to Normal by mid April' Is this 'under new management?'

mikegee
Two large notices have appeared in the shop window stating 'Back to Normal by mid April' Is this 'under new management?'

This evening I went into the shop, and was told it will be fully back to normal by next week or the week after. The Notices have been taken out of the window, but still not much stock on the shelves. Whether the shop is under new management I didn't think to ask.

I spoke to Nad the son of previous owner,his wife is new owner and will be running it they had probs with theft non payment of bills etc so good luck to them and hope it's open soon

It was reported earlier someone saw a whole new lot of kit being unloaded, lets hope it is true and will be successful.

There's a huge stainless steel flue on the on the side of the building - looks new or has it always been there? Artisan pottery on the way or the mother of all wood burning stoves?

Chipshop maybe?

Harry
There's a huge stainless steel flue on the on the side of the building - looks new or has it always been there? Artisan pottery on the way or the mother of all wood burning stoves?

flue been there for ages 18 months or more , nad was going to do something but never did it was going to be something in the take away market.

Shop still closed earlier this morning. Does anyone know what's going on and when it will be open again?

Still closed. Surely someone knows what's going on!

Refit to start 19th May and will take 7 to 10 days.
No date as yet for the re-opening

I see work has begun on shop interior. Wonder how long before it opens again.

Somebody said to me in week that the shop was opening again today (1st June). Does anyone know if that's the case?

The Shutters were down when i came past just now!
Maybe Tomorrow? Who knows?

At about 5.50PM this evening the shutter was still down at the shop entrance, and there was someone up a ladder, possibly painting. Presumably once the work is finished, the shop will have to be restocked, so my guess is maybe another couple of weeks before the reopening. Could be wrong, though!

They were stocking up end of last week Mike. There was a lot of activity / shouting round 5pm tonight. Shutters up partially. Shelves looked full. Not open to customers though but plenty of people outside including man in suit. OH saw it whilst walking our dog.

At about 5.50PM this evening, both shutters were still closed, so presumably there is still work in progress before the shop can reopen,

mikegee
At about 5.50PM this evening, both shutters were still closed, so presumably there is still work in progress before the shop can reopen,

The shop is now open as a 'Costcutter'. When it opened I know not, but certainly at about 5.50PM tonight, June 6th., it was 'up and running'

Why is there a generator running 24/7 outside with limited lighting inside?bSaw whilst walking dog. It must annoy nearby residents. Not been in yet but may have a look tomorrow.

I was in there this morning. Although the shelves are now quite well stocked with such as Cereals, Bread, Tinned & packeted food, etc., along with a smallish fridge with milk, and a good selection of Beers and such, not all of the interior is yet well lit, and the Chillers are not yet stocked. I was told that they are hoping to get in other things, including fruit & veg. soon, but, in the meantime will be open pending completion of the work and full restocking.
Didn't think to ask about the generator, though.

Went in shop earlier. Noisy generator going outside. Half shop in darkness / not fully stocked. Oh and it's cash only as no till.

Further to the above, as most will know by now, the shop has been branded CostCutter, and is open from 7AM to 11PM every day, but is still not full lit, or fully stocked, or at least it wasn't yesterday evening, but progress apears to be happening.

Building a fence outside round the inside of wall!!!
Would have thought, getting the place stocked up more important!

Just seen the fence in progress. Surely they're not covering the road sign up! It looks like the framework / panelling will completely cover the road name sign. Surely planning permission was required??

Haven't been in there for years after the appalling rudeness I received , it is handy though, is it new people or the same ones does anyone know? If it is new people I will start using it again as we do need these corner shops.

Why would you presume it's not theirs Ted, before accusing anyone of land grabbing take the effort of spending a few pounds and do a land registry search. The new owners have spent a huge amount of money refurbishing the shop and keeping a vital local service going, if they knew people like you would only have negative views I think they would have reconsidered.

Does Costcutter mean what it says? Bought a large bottle of pop in there for convenience and to save going up town but was surprised to find out later I could have saved 60p by buying it elsewhere!
Also now street sign gone and the one on Hailey Rd hanging off how are people supposed to find addresses??
I'm sure the land is public ally owned and I do hope that the Cornish Road name sign is put back.
As for an accident about to happen it is just another hazard along with the chaos along Churchill Road stretch!
The fence should come down in my opinion.
Think family members are living in the adjacent properties connected with shop but think they've always lived there.

Phone the council about the Hailey Road one as its hanging off outside their building , Cornish Road sign was put back up same day it was temporarily taken down and the land is not public ally owned since 2001

Cornish road built in the 60s/70s was built to an 'open plan' design meaning no walls, fences or hedges. Since then many homes are privately owned with the owners establishing the boundries with fences and impenetrable hedges. The shop had no boundary wall until about 8 years ago when a previous tenant's modernisation program built it. It would be reasonable to expect the new tennant/owner owns it as part of their property and merely marking their boundary.

As for roadsigns fixed to buildings, if the property owner wants them removed then so be it, if the relevant authorities no longer own the building then they have no right to keep It there.

As for planning permission for boundaries, I believe you can add a 2m (6.6) high wall without pp.

Given it has been only open for a week or more, give it a chance.

Apart from how many fences it's got!! Does anyone know , is it new people in there??

I think its the sister of the man who was inthere before!

Thank you, will try it & hope she is more polite. It's such a handy shop.

I've been into the shop a couple of times and found the people helpful. Today I was told that the electricity is back on, and the shelves are well stocked, with the chiller cabinets due to be restocked shortly. The shop will also stock daily newspapers, so things there are getting better. The name 'Costcutter' is appropriate, as some products are lower priced there than in the supermarkets.

As a follow-up to my previous post, the shop is now fully stocked, with a wide selection of chilled and frozen food, plus all the other items. Didn't see any fresh fruir & veg., though, anf forgot to enquire if these items were due to be added to the stock list. Hope so.

Thanks for the update, will try it one day soon.

Just been in the newly fitted shop. What a difference. Staff ever so friendly. Prices a little steep but will do in emergency.