Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pedestrian crossing

New crossing done this week by old hospital but no flashing lights on it. They have painted zig zig lines which I think means no parking yet they are painted over the bus stop.

Beware if using Over Norton Road as it is close to the main road junction and if a bus is stopped to pick up and someone walks on the crossing they might not be seen. All very dangerous in my opinion but it seems to be the fashion to put crossing near junctions?

Re: Pedestrian crossing

Dear 60's girl,
We had a big discussion as to where the crossing should be. Difficult one but at the end of the day it was felt that if we put it further down the over Norton Rd, no one would use it. As it is some people will not would the few paces to use it. that said i have seen lots of children and parents using the crossing.

Thanks Hilary I have used it myself but feel it is quite dangerous especially with cars and buses coming from town to O Norton Road and vehicles parked outsidemold Oxford House blocking the view.

I really dont like any crossing near roundabout and junctions the 2 at Burford Road and Albion St junction are dangerous.

In my view it would be difficult to site any pedestrian crossing where there is a totally unobstructed view of traffic from either direction, anywhere in Chippy, due to the road layouts involved. Perhaps they should all be Pelican Crossings, although that might cause more problems than it solves.

I do think pelican crossing would be better and something should be done at the top of New St for crossing the road.

Many years ago, before New Street was widened, they used, sometimes, to have a Policeman on Point Duty there. Can't see that happening now, there or anywhere else, but perhaps a Pelican Crossing should be installed at that very busy junction. Although I was once told that there is no need for drivers coming from the London Road end of town to signal if they intend to turn down New Street, because it's part of the A44 trunk road, it's still a Right turn from that direction, so perhaps it would be better if all drivers did signal before turning.

60's Girl
I do think pelican crossing would be better and something should be done at the top of New St for crossing the road.

A bit near a junction isn't it 60's Girl ?

Reminds me of the story where a sign was put up saying DANGER BEWARE DEER CROSSING only for someone to comment 'if it that dangerous they should move the crossing somewhere safe???'

Realistically the nearer the junction the safer it should be as traffic should be travelling at it's slowist.

Thanks Ed yes it is near a junction, point taken but Im just saying that as it is at the moment it is a dangerous place to cross.

The purpose of crossings are obviously to make it safer which seems to work as I cannot remember the last time anyone was injured using a crossing. However the same cannot be said for Chippy's notorious blackspot that has claimed a life and other serious injuries namely Horse Fair. The A44 that cuts the town centre in half is a national trunk route yet is continually ignored by OCC and the Highways dept, true it is difficult to decide just what could be done, the often discussed and rejected is a by-pass, first on where to put it and second cost meaning millions which conviently ends the discussion. The narrowness of Horse Fair must be the one of the worst on any trunk road in the country. OCC, WODC, The Highway Dept and government agencies have to plan ahead for major road improvements yet to my knowledge no such undertaking to solve the Horse Fair problem exists, putting a crossing there would not solve the problem.

Perhaps the newly elected councillor's could work together and lead the way!

The A44 is not classed as a trunk road in England and hasn't been for years - only parts of it in Wales are classfied as such. Trunk roads in England are those maintained by the Government's Highways Agency, whereas the A44 is the responsibility of Oxfordshire county council.

There you are everyone, the A44 that cuts the town centre in half is NOT a national trunk route. That should ease the traffic !

The Tory candidate for the Town Council and Hilary Biles are going to sort the traffic problems out! They just don't know how or when!

'Going to sort out the traffic but they don't know how or when eh'! That is like claiming credit for doing something that won't get done.

Ed, that's exactly what will happen, nothing! Despite David Cameron telling us the economy is on the mend this country is still strapped for cash. There is no money available to provide the only real solution: a bypass to the north of the Town. There are not even the funds available to repair the current road network. Still HS2 will solve all the transport problems.

absolutely ! Greece & Portugal kept spending money, maintained their infrastructure etc, knowing that the EU would not allow them to go bust. The U.K has stayed within it's financial limits, but unfortunately, with the result that we have crumbling roads & school buildings; failing hospitals, non-existant ambulance service; food-banks etc etc - who's the idiots ?

A few weeks ago we took a fortnight holiday in Morroco, we toured the country from Marrakech in the south to Fez, Cassablanca and many other places and in that time none of the tarmacked roads were as bad as here, the whole country was one huge building site with newbuild houses. For miles we drove alongside of a new high speed railway being built eventually joining Marrakech with the north coast several hundred miles away, it will be finished long before this country stops arguing about HS2, how can they do that? The answer was simple, they spent their taxes on infrastructure not giving it to foreigners, no dole money, if you didn't work there was no money for foreigner's, no signs, leaflets or poster's in every language under the sun offering free aid, simply no waste or freebies.
I asked the guide about all the illegal immigrants from West Africa? He said they were a nusance because of the begging, (they have enough of their own) he went on to say however they do not want to stay as they get nothing, they are trying to get to Europe particularly England mainly because of the free money and benefits. Nuff said!

Horsefair is not being ignored at all. The local transport plan is in the making and I have at last had several meetings over this very point! I even raised it at Full council last week and i have had meetings with Gloucestershire CC. The point is I will never let it be ignored -
Whatever we do at Horefair will not please everyone.
We have looked at one way traffic, priority etc. What do you think would be a good idea? Everyone says something should be done, we all know that but,they do not say 'how'. there have been public consultations years ago.
There is something in the pipeline that would help Chipping Norton and if it happens - I think it will , i will let you know.
As an aside your two new Councillors will not be able to do anything as it is not a District Council remit.

Oh dear Ed,
I am losing the will to live with some of these posts. Firstly Guy said he would work with me to solve the issues. Secondly, I never stop trying to do something about this issue.

Yes we are strapped for cash! The Conservatives have had a hard hill to climb getting the Country back on track after Labour left the country with a HUGE financial crisis.

The most sensible solution to Horsefair is to restrict the weignt limit of lrries, diverting them along the main and going past Rollright Stones and put at the Greedy Goose but I guess that road would need work done on it. Also all the green brigade would be out moaning about going past the stones. Something must seriously be done soon. Last week I saw a huge low loader with combine on it struggling along there and then getting stuck at the top of New St.

Hilary,

The Museum is in possession of a short film made in the 60's about the increasing traffic in Chipping Norton and the damage to the buildings, since then New St has been demolished mainly because of the buildings becoming unsafe, the benefit being made wider, however 55 years later nothing has been done despite bigger lorries, pollution and damage to buildings, how much longer is this going to go on? Looking at one way priority or any semi-weight restrictions will not solve the ever increasing traffic. What is needed is a relief road for through traffic much like the one around Cirencester.

You want ideas? Well here is one, Before the properties are sold consideration should be given to a relief road a single carriageway each way from the bottom of Banbury road, across the old War Memorial hospital through the old Castle View home, around the north of the Castle Banks through a cutting and across the fields to rejoin the road at Salford, in return there is the prospect of infill. Of course this is fanciful but tinkering around the edges with one way/traffic light etc will not solve the problem until someone takes it seriously by spending a considerable amount of money.

Dear Ed,
There is a lorry route still on the cards - the best option but expensive. I wasn't around 55 years ago I was elected in 2005. So, if everyone has been waiting for 55 years, I have a bit longer to go to get the solution. Believe me, I am trying.