Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Co-op' problems

Are the Co-op's financial problems likely to affect the on-going expansion of Chippy's Supermarket, or is this still going ahead as planned?

Re: The Co-op' problems

I only said yesterday I just have a feeling the work on it will stop and we will be left withna bomb site.

I could be wrong but I thought our Co Op was somehow independent of the main Co Op.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Mid-Counties Co-op, of which the Chippy store is a part, has or had a 30% stake in the Co-op Bank, and that, together with the recent news that the Co-operative Group, as a whole has losses of £2.5 Billion, suggests that, as an organization it is vulnerable, and could collapse, though, apparently, there is no immediate prospect of that happening.

Recently we enquired at the 'hole-in-the-wall counter' in the Co-op about savings account, the interest was very good, above average compared to other saving/bank interest. However unlike the other major banks Barclay's etc. they admitted there is no guarantee you would get your money back if the Co-op organisation went bust, apparently it is not actually a 'bank' so unlike banks it is not covered by the £80,000 (£160,000) money back assurance if they went bankrupt! It is worth checking.

This may put some peoples mind at rest.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/dec/02/money-safe-co-op-bank

No really, just to make clear the small counter inside the Co-op foodstore is not the Co-op Bank but a savings account run by the Co-op which to my knowledge does NOT cover the £85,000 guarantee.

Our local store is run by The Midcounties Coop (2nd largest coop in the country), which is a separate legal entity to the Cooperative Group Ltd which is headquartered in Manchester.
However, Midcounties does rely on the Group for certain services including purchasing and distribution. If the Group did go into administration then midcounties would need to replace those functions. The group is also the owner of 'The Cooperative' brand.
Any administration would be extremely disruptive for the cooperative movement and probably end it as a serious force in this country. We can only hope that the midcounties board realise this before throwing any more spanners in the work of restructuring the group.

After rejecting two professional chairmen to reserect the failing group I see it's Midcounties own chief executive Ben Reid who is seeking to become boss of the whole group. This shambolic company will not become viable until it becomes professional and gets rid of all the Labour Party supporting amatures who think they know how to run a business.

I agree with you Ed on this point, how can those who have never run a business ever expect to run and make a profit on a multi-billion pound company. Thankfully the Co-op's main bankers are sending in their people and this should shake up what is a good viable business. But allowing Labour to have cheap loans is not what the co-op is all about since I vote conservative and have been a tory party supporter all of my life but still a member of the co-op.