Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Windows XP

For all of you still running Windows XP... XP. is no longer supported by Microsoft and therefore is vulnerable to attack. Microsoft is no longer supporting this platform, or providing security updates.

Re: Windows XP

Will it still be protected by norton? I have that.

I suspect not! What they are saying is Microsoft will not be doing any more upgrades, bug fixes, improvements whatsoever to XP. Over the years Microsoft products particularly the operating systems like XP have been a challenge for hackers and virus producers to attack our computers, apparently XP was the most vulnerable.
Unfortunately there is no cheap answer, the current Windows 8 is too complicated for older computers running XP so you cannot upgrade, what they are quietly saying is replace your old XP computer with a new machine running either windows 7 or 8.

Just for the record I have had to install some Anti-Malware software to get rid of a parasitic bug called Sweetpacks that attached itself to Google Chrome and was impossible to remove in the normal way, it was buried deep it the operating system whenever you tried to open Chrome this thing came up instead, as it was not actually a virus as such but it does leave your computer open to unwanted attention, (a bit like leaving you front door open) it was not picked up by avast! or Norton. I use Windows 7.

I'm still using XP with SP3, and recently Microsoft did fix a security issue with Internet Explorer for XP users, though I know there will be no future uupdates. Bitdefender Total Security is working well up to now, but I may have to upgrade to W7 atleast, soon.

I use XP on one computer and installed Avast security working well

No you are both missing the point, it has nothing to do with virus's or protection, Microsoft are no longer doing updates or maintaining XP, meaning if the software crashes there is no one to help you, also it will not support newer software you purchase by XP doing upgrades. Quite simply get a new computer and transfer you important files before your computer fails and they re unretrievable. Don't rely on any of the security software, it is nothing to do with that it's ultimately an operation system failure you could face.

ed

i know they are not updating , but if you are still useing XP at the moment
microsoft esentials security which was there free one is not working so install something else till you upgrade.

not everbody can upgrade straight away so you will need something to stop the pesky bugs