Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hidden Price increases

Two loaves of Bread I've recently bought, one Warburtons, the other Kingsmill, are both now 750g instead of the standard 800g. Is this trend going to continue? If the prices stay the same, the bakers are supplying 6.25% less bread, so a hidden price increse is being imposed.

Re: Hidden Price increases

Where from??

mikegee
Two loaves of Bread I've recently bought, one Warburtons, the other Kingsmill, are both now 750g instead of the standard 800g. Is this trend going to continue? If the prices stay the same, the bakers are supplying 6.25% less bread, so a hidden price increse is being imposed.

This has been common practice for several years now especially by snack manufacturers and confectionary manufacturers. It could be that they are trying to help solve the "obesity epidemic", Eric Pickles MP may know the answer to that!

Ed:
Where from??
If you mean, from where bought, Ed, The local Co-op supermarket is the answer.

It's not just foodstuff ; potting compost down from 75 litre bags to 60, dog food down from 20kg bags to 15 etc etc - & no reduction in price. I had a friend visit from New Zealand, her verdict, " you lot are being fleeced !"

mikegee
Ed:
Where from??
If you mean, from where bought, Ed, The local Co-op supermarket is the answer.

Prior to the Co-op v's Sainsbury's fiasco, one of the reason for objection was that the Co-op said they could not match prices with the major supermarkets because they had not the same buying power - joke - thus their reason to keep their prices higher. They had the support of local businesses and some residents meaning they virtually had the ok to charge more!.

It will be interesting to see if the prices drop when Aldi comes on the scene.

Points taken, Ed, but the reduction in weight of the sliced loaves is down to the manufacturers. The new Kingsmill White loaf is 750g wherever it's stocked, as is the Warburtons one, so it looks as if the previous 800g standard loaf is being reduced.

Not quite mikegee, customers like Co-op, Tesco, etc who order 10,000 loaves a day can and do instruct companies like Warburtons to make loaves to suit their needs and price structure, believe me if the supermarkets could sell the larger loaves for the same price as the smaller ones they would. It is all about profit.