Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Local opinions wanted

What does Chipping Norton lack in the form of facilities or types of shop/businesses.
Or what types of service/businesses are not as good as they should be?
For example..Do we have enough....... Or good enough
Child Care or Nursery
Gym or fitness facilities
Clothes shops
Taxis or bus services
Bakers, butchers...Etc

You get the idea!

What types of business or shops do we need to go out of town for?

Re: Local opinions wanted

Employment pure and simple! One to replace Parker Knoll that will pay PROPER wages for the young people to be able to buy their own homes, all other businesses will follow if they have customers to spend money.

Oh! And a poundshop!

Definately work. Also clearing up of bombsites eg the old bus garage. Then hopefully we can restore the town to what it is and should be namely a working market town, not the posh shop and art gallery place it has become. We dont all want to have to do our day to day shopping elsewhere

Greengrocers please!

A better choice of pubs.

Chipping Norton leads the country in appalling customer service. Start at the bakers and work your way along Topside, you are at Kench the butcher before you find a shop where the customer is more important than the conversations the assistants are having amongst themselves. People travel to Charlbury or Bloxham for a Post Office because the service in Chippy is so bad. Some thought it would change when it was taken under the wing of the Co Op; right it did change it adopted the Co Op's dreadful customer service and became even worse. Likewise with Sainsbury, when it took over the Somerfield shop we all expected better customer service, but no; same staff same dreadful service. So what is needed is an influx of shops where the customer really does come first. We need a Greengrocer, A wet fish shop, A baker that has the same customer service as the one in Oxford's covered market and we need a proper supermarket, not an Aldi or a Co Op but a Waitrose or large Sainsbury selling dry goods as well as food. For the other premises turn them into apartments. Chipping Norton is DYING and an Aldi and Co Op will not save it nor will the antics of the Town Council on snowplough bikes, The latest effort to produce a Town Plan resulted in the same garbage as the one ten years earlier because it was produced by the same type of people, ex teachers, local government and NHS works and no one with experience in the real world. And before anyone complains about my views take a look at a very successful business in the town - GILLS. Nothing is too much trouble always pleasant and smiling, they want to please their customer. GOT IT if we are to have the right kind of shop we need to get the right kind of people to work in them. TUPE has a lot to answer for in Chipping Norton.

Vin Depay, That really is your opinion, and that wasn't strictly what was asked,
customer service is down to management and business owners to recruit and train their staff to the required standard.

Okay lets rephrase it.....

What TYPES of business or shops would people like to see in Chipping Norton??

things like....
The pound Shop - thanks ED

No problem unknown! I bet more people would like a pound shop more than any other.

The question that needs answering is do we want shops for the benefit of locals or visitors?

Maybe after the election I will start a poll to see the most requested shops, what do others think?

There are to many shops for the tourists and not enough for locals its simple I'm sorry but I don't need antiques, designer gear from trendy shops, overpriced childrens clothes and shoes or umpteen cups of coffee from the stupid amount of coffee shops we have. All I want is honest everday shops that offer value for money so yes that probably does mean a pound shop, a next, new look etc. This IS how a high street looks these days and I'm afraid Chippys falls short. Chippy these days is more like an oversized village that people come to to have a potter in.

we need better pubs cheaper and cleaner than the chequers.

I thoroughly agree with the lacking level of Customer Service, most especially in the Bakers and the Post Office. Truly, I don't think they want to serve you. I now do not go to either as they are just so rude and it seems like a massive effort on their part to sell you what you have asked for. So yes, I am one of the many that actually drive out of our lovely little town to go to other places to get a nice smile and a feeling of being appreciated for going in to their premises!!!

On that note, Roger's deli with his fresh fish is fantastic, you can pre-order any type of fish that you would like and both he and his wife are superbly friendly and helpful and go out of their way to supply/advise on anything that you want. Hurray to them!

Shaz
There are to many shops for the tourists and not enough for locals its simple I'm sorry but I don't need antiques, designer gear from trendy shops, overpriced childrens clothes and shoes or umpteen cups of coffee from the stupid amount of coffee shops we have. All I want is honest everday shops that offer value for money so yes that probably does mean a pound shop, a next, new look etc. This IS how a high street looks these days and I'm afraid Chippys falls short. Chippy these days is more like an oversized village that people come to to have a potter in.

I totally agree!
I would like to know where is the plot of land advertised for sale for Retail use on the London Rd? as mentioned on Chipping Norton News website!
Maybe a larger supermarket could be built there?

It was rumoured several year's ago James Reeve was offered a large sum of money for his property by one of the leading supermarkets, apparently he turned it down as it was his pension. Didn't work out very well did it?

As for the London road, original plans for the hospital/nursing home/surgery site showed industrial in the corner along with more homes.

Green grocer please. Not a Daylesford type but a real one.

Some interesting comments, so really the voice of Chipping Norton has suggested a green grocery or pound shop which must have impeccable customer service?.......