Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
B2 'Stealth' Plane over Churchill Yesterday

At about 2.30PM yesterday, whilst at the Classic Car Show at Churchill, an aircraft flew in a southerly direction over the village, but I wonder how many who saw it realised that it was a B2, commonly called a 'Stealth' Bomber, not, as at least one person thought, the Avro Vulcan.

Re: B2 'Stealth' Plane over Churchill Yesterday

Yes I heard one woman tell her other half it was a Vulcan, mind you as so many saw it it wasn't that stealthy was it?

I also heard someone remark 'Could it be Concorde?' The B2 is a totally different shape to either the Vulcan or Concorde, and, anyway, as far as I know, there are none of the latter still flying.

And people tell me I am being paranoid when I say they are watching me.

If you look at tne website rt.com you will see it says about it flying yesterday.

Spotted a B52 over churchill today.

In the early days Victors, Vulcans and Valiants used to be painted white to blend in with the clouds, eventually the tops of the aircraft were painted camouflage colours to blend in with the ground while low flying.

It makes you wonder why the B2s are painted black unless they are afraid to use them in daylight.

"It makes you wonder why the B2s are painted black unless they are afraid to use them in daylight." ED

I understand that the paint on the B2 is formulated to absorb radar signals thereby increasing the stealth nature of the craft.

The black paint didn't help the Lockheed F117 Nighthawk that was shot down over Serbia in 1999. Aparently it was shot down by the Yugoslavian equivalent of Dads Army. The Americans retired all their F117s in 2008 after 25 years at a cost of $111million dollars each.