Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new 80 bedded care home approved

I notice planning approval has been passed for an 80 bedded care home alongside 16 houses to be built at Rockhill Farm.
Maybe Sainsburys should have had planning passed, with all these being built!!
(From todays online Oxford Mail)

Re: new 80 bedded care home approved

I am all in favour of that, but we don't all need a care home more sheltered housing needs to be built as a lot of us are not yet ready for a care home.

Next to Cornish House Nursing Home, the Hospital, First Aid unit, Doctors Surgery there must be a better name for the road than Russell Way? Can anyone come up with a new more apt name like Worlds End from the film, well it is a dead end,?

what I struggle to comprehend is how housing can be specified as only for sale to certain age groups (i.e over 55's), without being age discrimination. The old Penhurst site is yet another example. I have a single, graduate, professional daughter who could afford a mortgage on some of the flats in the town, but is disqualified by her age. She is involved in two organizations on a voluntary basis, & is exactly the type of person that should be encouraged to make her home in the town, IF people want to see Chipping Norton as the "lively, vibrant"town that everyone seems to want. As it is, she has bought a flat that she can afford in Witney. Unless there is a major change in thinking, Chipping Norton will rapidly become one enormous old peoples home.

Regrettably house building is driven by developers hoping to get more units in a mulit level building thus more money per square foot of land, and of course the elderly has a better supply of money downsizing. Unfortunately when the occupant dies the relatives has to continue to pay ground rent and services untill sold,this has been discussed here on the forum before.

I can sympathise with your daughters predicament. Many years ago my uncle (a builder) converted and modernised Lodge Terrace with the intention of selling them to young couples at a low price, an elderly couple took him to court and won the right to buy, they bought, sold making a handsome proffit without moving in. Age discrimination when it suits!

Why on earth are we approving housing on fresh sites (Rock Hill Farm) when we have at least 6 derelict sites around town? Bloody ridiculous! Id like to see a ban on residential planning permission approvals until these derelict sites are developed, with a proper affordable housing/shared ownership ratio. Our young people are leaving town because there are not enough affordable housing/shared ownership or jobs.
Im getting sick and tired of developers coming to our town, profiting then walking away. Guy

Ohhhhh be careful Guy the Rock Hill development is on Oxfordshire CC land, likewise the War Memorial And Castle View property owned by the authorities all realise there is more quicker money to be made through housing for the elderly than young people or industry, ask Hilary, perhaps better not.

Councils cannot afford to fight multi million pound developments particularly when Dave is on their side.

You would have been a good candidate for Chippy First Guy.

Although I am a Conservative, I have my own voice and I want to see "sustainable" development that gives priority to young, local people who want to live and work here.The need for more Employment facilities in Chippy is growing by the year, not offices but light industrial. Many businesses are started by local people at Worcester Road Industrial estate or Station Road Industrial Estate, they grow and move away.
A perfect example is Chipping Norton Glass, local business with no room to grow, so they are moving to Banbury, LOST OPPORTUNITY!

C N Glass already have a place at Banbury. As for the new care home my worry is in time the hospital will close and it will all be a care home there. I think it very strange the front door from the road is the care home and the hospital is at the back.

If you remember there was no intention to have a hospital, it was only because of a lot of campaigning made it happen. When the plans came to council it was quite clear the design was for a nursing home only, the bit at the back was a compromise to shut people up.

They have tried to renege on the employment of the staff that was part of the agreement.

I believe when the new surgery is in opperation it may well take over the first aid unit and possibly hospital duties leaving the hospital to close and become the nursing home as intended.

C N GLASS abandoned the name 'Chipping Norton' some time ago possibly because of large amounts of work out of town. Moving to where the work is natural.

Another casuality is Morris Photographic on the Worcester Rd Est, they have closed for good.

guy

Eds right you would have been a good chippy first , when they have another election go independent you will romp home .

forget Tories or labour etc in local elections

Firstly it is not a'care home' that has been granted permission but Extra Care Housing. This is similar to sheltered housing but when you are in need of more help you are able to stay in your flat and the services will come in to you. It is no secret we have an aging population and there are few Care home and Nursing home places. We need this in Chipping Norton just as we need homes for our younger people. This development has been in the strategy for many years and I for one am pleased it now can move forward giving many elderley residents of Chipping Norton the opportunity to stay in the town they have lived in and supported for many years.
The Henry Cornish Care centre is not a Nursing home it is a Care home. Earlier last month after a great deal of discussion and with the support of David Cameron,there was agreement that the nurses and health care assistants plus the ward clark would be under contract to Oxford Health and remain in the NHS rather than have to tupe over to the Order of St John. This protects the hospital extra care beds, so it is just not true that the whole building will become a Care Home. The staff are delighted - as I am. They will also wear NHS uniforms.
The derelict sights are on the market, the brief is from the public consultation a couple of years ago. We are all aware we need more parking for a start. I cannot do anything about the Parker Knoll site as it is privately owned however the ambulance site was eventually sold to OCC so that area could be developed as a whole rather than piecemeal. Which is good. The NHS were also to join in but went ahead and sold the hospital so that also is in private ownership.
The reason the sites were empty for so long (or this is what I was told when I enquired last year) is that you do not sell property or land when the market is depressed as the local authority has to get the best deal for the tax payer.This seems sensible and lets face it, there would be lots of complaints if it were sold off cheaply.
Compared to many towns, given its size, Chipping Norton is well served. We can never keep everyone happy all of the time and we should always strive for more ( I constantly do) but rather than run Chippy down I think we should be saying what a great place it is and, celebrating its facilities.
Certainly the medical facilities we have ( hard fight mind you) are great! Now the town council need to state what they want in their local plan.

I fully agree, Chippy is a great place to live and I love it here but in order to future proof the town and encourage social diversity, thought must be given to encouraging young professionals and families. Young professionals with a bit of money would have loved to live in a converted flat in the beautiful old Penthurst building. I agree that we need to provide for the ageing population but we also need to bring money into the town for the bars, restaurants and clothing shops, places that the elderly don't spend in.
Elderly care homes and sheltered accommodation is being build, there is plenty of social housing. Are there any plans for key worker housing? That could have been perfect for Anna's young professional daughter. The hospital always struggles to recruit decent staff, perhaps key worker housing for the nurses would benefit the health system too?

Having been a critic of WODC for sometime my views were further reenforced after sitting through the planning meeting for Aldi. There is nothing more that holds this town back as that totally undemocratic, unrepresentative group WODC.

To hear one of the councillors views gave the impression he thought the stage coach still stopped at the White Hart. The town needs more, but what we need not what they think we need.

Ed, with you on this one!
The Witney/Cartoon Town mafia will see to it that any potential jobs will,
whenever possible be located there. Chippy is seen as a blasted nuisance by the rest of WODC. However they are perfectly happy to take our Council Tax

perhaps it's time to replace the old "Chipping Norton, gateway to the Cotswolds"signs with something more relevant, "Chipping Norton, care home of the Cotswolds", more appropriate ?

Anna sister, can you remove your handle from the name box and reinstall it to see if it clears the problem.

has that done it ?

Anna's sister
has that done it ?

so far it appears so!

Horace Wilbeforce
I would have thought with the need to help the elderly in the town and surrounding area's this would help. Maybe those who oppose this development might think twice when they get to the age of requiring "assisted living".

Lastly there does appear to be a number of anna's sisters all with the same URL or have I been working in Cheltenham for to long?

No one to my knowledge opposed the 'development' apart from concerns by the council, it doesn't actually make it clear who it is for, considering the developmment gives the impression it is a care home and then to find the figures are different and is actually sheltered housing makes people suspicious.

I seem to remember that several years ago CNTC were in favour of building essential worker housing on land owned by the council at Grey Stones. Gerry Alcock put in a lot of work including surveying the Nurses, Teachers and other essential workers. Result there was no demand for \\\"essential worker\\\" housing. Maybe our lacklustre Town Council should consider doing it again; Oh I forgot. They sold Grey Stones for next to nothing so the site is no longer there!

I have to wonder at the wisdom of selling Greystones instead of renovating it and now the council are chasing after the police station at three times the price with no actual agenda as to what they are going to do with it, meanwhile no further action replacing the Town Hall roof ???