Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
History of Local Shops

By which I mean, what businesses have occupied retail premises in Chippy over the past 50+ years. EG, 14 West Street, from where 'Lovingly Handmade' currently trades, was, as most people will know, the home of Autospares for maybe 25 years. Before then, a Grocery Shop, originally T.K. Pettipher, later United Counties Grocers, was there in the 1950s & 60s. There are many other premises which have housed different traders & types of business in that time. Maybe other readers will add to this thread with information about them!

Re: History of Local Shops

The bridal shop was Mr Pynes sweet shop and Rosie B was Mrs Epton. Citizens Advice was a wool shop.

mikegee
By which I mean, what businesses have occupied retail premises in Chippy over the past 50+ years. EG, 14 West Street, from where 'Lovingly Handmade' currently trades, was, as most people will know, the home of Autospares for maybe 25 years. Before then, a Grocery Shop, originally T.K. Pettipher, later United Counties Grocers, was there in the 1950s & 60s. There are many other premises which have housed different traders & types of business in that time. Maybe other readers will add to this thread with information about them!

mikegee,

Is this the EXACT same post as you tried previously and if not what did you change.

BEFORE MR PYNE'S SWEET SHOP IT WAS PULKERS SWEET SHOP.
MR AND MRS PULKER LIVED IN THE HOUSE AT THE SIDE (WHICH IS NOW EMPTY )
MR PYNE ORIGINALLY HAD A SWEET SHOP IN NEW ST AND TOOK OVER FROM PULKERS WHEN HIS SHOP WAS PULLED DOWN AS PART OF THE NEW ST ROAD WIDENING SCHEME

This is essentially the same post, slightly reworded, Ed. Having known the town since the mid 1950s, I know that many premises have changed hands and trades over that time, including Pynes and Eptons.

I have been intouch with Bravenet, they were not familiar with this problem but are looking into it.

The backslash problem they were aware of and are trying to rectify the fault.

the old mill cafe was the co-op butchers; corbetts was co-op menswear & outfitting; andrea & achilli was co-op hardware & furnishing; charity shop next door was co-op shoe shop; estate agents was james duke feeds & pet shop; florists next to the Fox was James atkinsons, seed merchants; Beales was co-op grocery , with warehouse, bakehouse & garage workshops behind;Nash's was co-op ladies wear & haberdashery; co-op travel agents was co-op tobacconist & confectionary. Next door was co-op fish shop. C& G was Brindles newsagent. Scrivens was Baxters butchers. more to follow when I think about it ? how's that for a start ?

I remember all of those, although I picture the Co-op Ladies Outfitters being wher Helen & Douglas Hose shop is now. Dukes was, in the 50s 'Wlater Craft & Sons.' Graham Simmonds shop, then where Trada,etc., are now, was called 'Hayes & Co.' Putman's Cycle & Toy shop was in what is now the Post Office, which was in the building now occupied by the Vintage Sports Car Club.

Anna\\\'s sister
the old mill cafe was the co-op butchers; corbetts was co-op menswear & outfitting; andrea & achilli was co-op hardware & furnishing; charity shop next door was co-op shoe shop; estate agents was james duke feeds & pet shop; florists next to the Fox was James atkinsons, seed merchants; Beales was co-op grocery , with warehouse, bakehouse & garage workshops behind;Nash's was co-op ladies wear & haberdashery; co-op travel agents was co-op tobacconist & confectionary. Next door was co-op fish shop. C& G was Brindles newsagent. Scrivens was Baxters butchers. more to follow when I think about it ? how's that for a start ?

Charity shop was Manchester House selling assorted goods haberdashery,ladies clothing and tailoring etc.Was run in late 40's by Mr Miles who sold out to Mr Heron. Mr Heron had twins that used to go to the local school.
Mr Miles had a house built on the bank in Churchill Road opposite the 2nd Leys.
It was then sold to the Coop who used it as a shoe shop until early 70's when a developer bought it along with all the coop property adjacent. It was all going to be a Waitrose.
Coop butchers became Sandles electrical shop and then Highlights gift and cookware shop before becoming The Mill cafe.Coop slaughter house was art back of outfitting where Hill Lawn court now is.
Chancellors and Oxfam was Crafts seed and animal feeds and then James Dukes feeds
The coffee bar was James Styles and Whitlocks estate agents ,then Frankidoodle with the solicitors on the corner where Fairfax are.

the co-op café was next to the grocery shop, as I remember it, and the tobacconist was where the silver pumas are outside of. but what I remember most is the delicious smell of baking bread and fresh doughnuts that came out of the bakehouse mmm

Many years ago, of course, Chipping Norton was 'Co-op Town', in as much as most of the town centre consisted of Co-op shops and their associated businesses, such as the Dairy, Bakery, etc. At least 8 or 9 of the shops, including the present day Old Mill cafe, Corbetts, A&A, Helen & Douglas House, The Sue Ryder Shop, the present Co-op Supermarket & Beales(or at least former buildings on those two sites), and the Co-op Pharmcy & Travel Agents were Co-op Shops, all belonging to the Chipping Norton & District Co-operative Society in the 1950s & 60s.

corbettes was scorpios fashion shop for a while . it was also maple leaf freezer center ... whsmith was fine fare .... boots was international . the jewllers was dunns clothes shop ... best one was sandals music shop where i think the old mill is now .... . dorothy perkins was barkers newsagents then john menzies ..

Sandles occupied what is now Kingdom Hall, across the road was Tylers Greengrocers, it was later a tea room followed I do believe a candle shop, or was that next door? Jims Chinese take a way was previously a fish and chip shop run by Wallingtons, not forgetting Joe Benfields used furniture at the Sally Army Hall.

In middle row there was Bennetts Greengrocers, next was the small food shop run by Tunisons? And at the end was Burbidges sweet shop.

Stan Franklin had a small electrical shop that became the carpet shop, old Mrs Sims had the small sweet shop opposite later to become a tea shop, further along was Digwards and another grocery shop at the top of Leys approach.

Old Mr Langton had the small grocery store in New St now occupied by Wild Thyme, Robert Langton (son) had the grocery shop on the corner of Cotswold Crescent.

Mrs Earn had the sweetshop in New St, Jack Brain moved his cycle shop from New St to what is the Antique shop in West St, the now Wine Bear was Hitchmans shop selling alcohol before being taken over as Jackies clothes, Paul Willaby had a decorators shop briefly where the locksmith is.

Harpers previously was Cotswold Joinery selling hardware while the gentleman concentrated on joinery, next door ( now Citizens Advice) became a Kitchen shop.

what is now the Thai Restaurant Was previously a French Restaurant, before that a shop selling food, cakes? Before that Cleveleys Antiques.

Top of Church St there was a sweet shop later a Laundrette. And of course Putmans, Hartwells, Simms Jewellers, Hiltons shoes, Threshers, Eastmans Butchers, Benfields Antiques (then a clockshop now Age Concern) Harry Whites and Blue Lion, Mike Whites greengrocers, Malpasses, Simms Garage, Johnsons saddlers then a bread shop, Bon March in West st.

Then there is Packers, The Emporium, Electric shop, Smiths electrical, Rumbalows, Hunts Butchers, The bookies, Baxters, Antiques where Jaffe & Oneill, before that a household shop. Vics Cafe.

My memory isn\'t as bad as I thought!

Ed
It sounds like you are a newcomer to the town, I can name a lot more shops lost then you!

Please do not forget the Scarsbrook Family, One of the oldest Familys in the town arrived in Chippy in 1713.

Frank Scarsbrook Greengrocers shop in West Street Now Fishing Tackle Shop
Fred Scarsbrook Grocer Shop in New street.

When I was at C.N. Grammar school, !! A 'few" years ago, there was a sweet shop on the corner opposite the old post office. I can't remember what it was called, I just remember buying sweets in my lunch break there, about 1956/7. I think it was on the end of a terrace of houses.

I, too was at Chippy Grammar School from 1955-58, and remember that Sweet Shop, though not it's name. Other shops I do recall - Burbridges in Middle Row, now Carrick Travel Agents, the Phoenix Cafe and Hunt's grocers/greengrocers, both also in Middle Row.

Mr Chippy
Ed
It sounds like you are a newcomer to the town, I can name a lot more shops lost then you!

Please do not forget the Scarsbrook Family, One of the oldest Familys in the town arrived in Chippy in 1713.

Frank Scarsbrook Greengrocers shop in West Street Now Fishing Tackle Shop
Fred Scarsbrook Grocer Shop in New street.

Go on then!

My Hubby says the sweet shop opposite the old Post Offices was "Bates"

on the same note how many people can name all the shops david geddes carpets used to be in

All the shops he was in were called David Geddess Carpets but I get your drift, apart from the Worcester Rd est, there was New st, the premises of the Co -op now hairdressers, quite a clever chap David, more shops perhaps?