Return to Website

POSTING ON THIS FORUM. You only need to fill in the NAME Field, i.e. With your name or what you want to be known as.

Ignore the rest, only this and your I.P. address will be shown.  

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
banbury rd crossing

Yesterday afternoon I took my small grand daughter and dog for a stroll.
My grand daughter safe in her buggy and dog on lead. We crossed the Banbury Rd. using the pedestrian crossing. As we were halfway across, a car driven by a woman in her early forties hurtled down Banbury Rd and across the crossing in front of us. We could easily have been killed.
Several other people I have spoken to have had similar experiences on this crossing. Maybe Oxfordshire CC need to look at the siting of this crossing again before someone is injured.

Re: banbury rd crossing

Why no one has thought about putting speed bumps just in front of the crossings is beyond me, if you have to stop then the bump should be no problem. Of course someone will say what about Ambulances but at that point they should not be travelling fast anyway.

We went through Shipston on Stour recently and the car in front of us went over the pedestrian crossing and actually touched the arm of the lady crossing on it.

The Banbury Road does need rumble strips to slow drivers down, its such a long straight road that all they see is the roundabout at the bottom and ignore the crossing.

On a similar point I have heard that after complaints about bad driving on Middle Row the council are think of putting big planters half way along to prevent drivers going all the way along.

Good for the pedestrians, bad for the takeaways.

Rumble strips would be a good start, also cutting back some of the tree branches would perhaps give motorists a less distracted view of the crossing.
Over to you Hilary.

Also may help for idiots in offices not to put crossings on roundabouts,where motorist have enough to do. Looking for other vehicle etc 😊😊

If someone finds it difficult to negotiate roundabouts and crossings while looking out for vehicles then they shouldn't be on the road.

sorry ed but I also think it was bad planning, coming from albion street to the burford road and turning left can be dodgy, you look to give way to the right while making sure no ones suddenly decided to jump on the crossing at the left, it could have been put further up the road.

The crossings are before the junctions, motorists will have negotiated them no matter how far they are away from the junction so there should be no problem at the junction itself.

Those crossings came at the request of the public taking their children to school who found they risked their lives crossing the road due to selfish drivers, coming up to a pedestrian crossing you should drive carefully, don't you think pedestrians have a right to cross the road safety?

Today I have driven around Leicester, on one way systems, ring roads, dual carriageway, with traffic lights on roundabouts, zebra crossings, pelican crossings, alongside buses, taxis, boy racers, given way to ambulances all overtaking me on the left, right and centre, the only thing I didn't encounter was tuc-tucs and rickshaws all the time following a satnav to get out the city, so if an old fart can do that around a city I would think getting out of Over Norton road would be a doddle.

It's not the coming up to the roundabouts, it's when exiting them & you are faced with someone in the middle of the crossing that's dangerous.