General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any FSA Experts on the Forum?

OK...I need some feedback here.

I have a great job with great insurannce and a FSA (Flexible Spending Account). This is great because I can buy diapers, catheters, etc with it. BUT...

I have tried to use the card at XP Medical and it comes back declined. When I go to say Drugstore.com or CVS.com or whatever, they have certain diapers marked with FSA, meaning they are eligible for FSA purchase. That's cool, but here's the rub...

Only certain ones are marked FSA eligible. In the Abena line at Drugstore, for instance, only the x-large x-plus and x-large super are marked eligible, NOT the small or medium or large. Most, but not all Attends diapers and pullups are marked eligible. Anyone have any clue at all on how this works? Do they set a max value per diaper or pullup that can be paid or what? Is it just a matter of asking to have a product added to the FSA list? I've sent a couple emails to Drugstore and they have not replied. I have asked Gary Evans about it but he's been so busy since buying ABAIP and meeting with Abena, I doubt he's had any chance to look into it.

Anyone have any ideas at all? I'm new to the medical insurance and FSA thing (THRILLED I have them though!). Not quite sure how it all works yet. I do know they will cover new braces for me (possibly $15,000, since I'll be going to higher bracing) and a new wheelchair. They have a limit on what they'll pay for the chair so my choices aren't as wide as I would like. Just don't quite understand all the insurance stuff yet. :(

Kind Regards,

Brian
Kentucky
One of the Moderators

Re: Any FSA Experts on the Forum?

Hi Brian,

I've been using fsa accounts for my product reimbursement for over 12 years. I have had this benefit through many companies and have never been denied any reimbursement for any incontinence product. 1 new company did at first deny the reimbursement until I sent them a "doctors need letter". Then while I was getting the letter, they came back saying that it was a product needed to handle a medical need, and that it was considered an over the counter product so no proof of condition was needed.

Otherwise, I am suprised to hear of your experience. I wouldn't hesitate
on arguing it with them.

Here is the scoop.....

FSA will reimburse for incontinence supplies (but sometimes require a doctors note saying you required them). That doesn't mean that the Credit Card they give you will always work. This is because every store has to have an automated inventory system that has each item marked as FSA elligile so that when the transaction is processes the card knows it is an elligible item. This doesn't mean you can't buy these items, it just means you can't use the card they supply. You must either use cash or your own CC and then fill in a form and fax it and the reciepts to them. I've always had to do this as most of the online Incontinence suppliers don't have the appropriate inventory software to flag items as FSA elligible. I know the last time I tried with Duraline my card didn't work. Filling out the forms isn't hard, just annoying.

Thanks Mitch!

Yeah, I'm learning this stuff. LOL! A pleasant surprise though, as I mentioned in my FSA Update Post is that when I tried to order Molicare Super Plus from XP Medical the other day with my FSA card it went through just fine. :) Nice. Not sure if it's the way XP's site is coded as a merchant or what. Next time I need Molicare I'll try the card at XP again and see if it was just a "fluke" or something.

In regards to cloth backed diapers. Honestly the only cloth backed diaper i've found that does not feel damp on the outside are Attends. Around the house I've started using their extra absorbency breathable briefs an they work quite well. Now at work (being a 9-11 Dispatcher) I stick with the Molicare Super Plus. No guarantees how often I can get away from the radio console to change. Not a chance i want to take!

Kind Regards,

Brian
One of the Moderators

Molicares are good....I just hate wearing Pink/Purple underwear! I know its silly...

I also bought molicare on XP medical with my FSA and it went through! :)

Thank you for the information :)