General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is your incontinence from and how old are you now (when did it start)?

Hello,

I am new to the community as of a couple of days ago and also completely new to the world of incontinence. The man that I've been dating for almost 2 years confided in me a few ago after a fight where I was upset about him leaving in the middle of our dates all the time that he is incontinent, wears protection to manage it, and that is why sometimes he has to leave suddenly during our dates. I was (and still am) in complete and total shock since my boyfriend is young and healthy looking.

He doesn't feel comfortable enough to talk to me in person about what his specific struggles are but I care about him enough that I've been trying to educate myself as much as possible so that I'll be ready when and if he is ready to discuss it.

So first of all what is your (or your loved one's) incontinence form and how old are you now (when did it start)?

My boyfriend did let me know today that he sustained a mild TBI (traumatic brain injury) 9 years ago so I've been hanging out on the TBI reddit page all day and am hearing about all kinds of different types of incontinence issues from people including people that have can't go (their bladder retains everything) to people that have a sudden urgency to people that have constant leakage and even people that have 2 or more of these things all at the same time...

I didn't realize there were so many different types of incontinence out there...What are your guy's experiences with it and what would you want hypothetically for a girlfriend or boyfriend to know? Like how could he or she be supportive of you? Especially if you don't feel comfortable talking about it with him or her yet?

Thanks for the support-sorry for posting so much-there's no where else on the web to go with these kinds of issues where people understand. Thanks in advance,

Re: What is your incontinence from and how old are you now (when did it start)?

Hello. I am a disabled mother of 3. I've been dealing with incontinence to at least some degree for years. Having MS. and also suffering a massive stroke during My third pregnancy over 23 years ago. My condition had progressively gotten worse over the years. For the last few years I have been completely incontinent bladder & bowel. I have had to wear adult briefs after years of failed bowel programs , catheters and bad UTIs. After I began having difficulty swallowing and chewing food. I needed a feeding tube. Which cause profound diarrhea. At this point the best solution would be to have a supra pubic catheter & colostomy installed. It would be easier on My husband and caregivers as well. But My body reacts really bad to anesthesia. And I don't want to loose the very limited function I have.

Re: What is your incontinence from and how old are you now (when did it start)?

Brandie
Hello. I am a disabled mother of 3. I've been dealing with incontinence to at least some degree for years. Having MS. and also suffering a massive stroke during My third pregnancy over 23 years ago. My condition had progressively gotten worse over the years. For the last few years I have been completely incontinent bladder & bowel. I have had to wear adult briefs after years of failed bowel programs , catheters and bad UTIs. After I began having difficulty swallowing and chewing food. I needed a feeding tube. Which cause profound diarrhea. At this point the best solution would be to have a supra pubic catheter & colostomy installed. It would be easier on My husband and caregivers as well. But My body reacts really bad to anesthesia. And I don't want to loose the very limited function I have.
I have urinary incontinence, which I have suffered from for nearly 5 years. I had a urodynamics test in 2017, which revealed an over active bladder. In early 2018 I has the botox injection, which tuned out to be a nightmare. Basically it froze my bladder, which meant I had to self catheterise. This procedure was incredibly uncomfortable and led to a uti. After the botox wore off I went back to wearing adult napppies. I am 43 now and I know I'll have this problem all my life. My partner is incredibly supportive and it hasn't affected our love life. All my friends and family know I have a problem. This all started after a motorcycle accident in 2014.