General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
why a smelly nappy?

not sure why I've just had a really smelly nappy- and I mean really bad.

the last thing I ate was around 6 hours ago and I've changed since then, so..

Re: why a smelly nappy?

I ask myself this a lot especially when my first change involves cleaning up after a nighttime bowel accident. This morning was the worst though as I had what parents in the U.S call a blowout. The mess went up my back and leaked out the leg opening I smelt and felt disgusting, so I washed my hands, made my coffee then removed the used nappy took a shower. All in all, a disgusting way to start the morning but it can't be helped but I hope it doesn't happen again for a while.

One of the problems with complete loss of bladder & bowel control. Is either catheters , bowel programs, or briefs. Theres going to be accidents and leaks. I'm sorry that's happening to You. It is always a low point for sure. Its rare I have a bowel event in the night. Its much more likely to happen sitting in My wheelchair. Or worse Yet during transfers. I can only say if You are having problems with (blowouts). You really need to go up a size or two in what You wear. A overnight plastic backed adult diaper brief is really the only type of product. That works for that level of incontinence. And sleep or sit on chux. Seems like there was another thread about blow outs on this board some time back ?

I have started wearing plastic pants at night due to this situation because the adult diapers I wear normally are already mediums and have ample room. I keep a chart of my toileting habits and I found before that episode I was constipated for 3 days before hand and the output was much larger than normal. Right now, my doctors are looking for signs of gastroparesis because I am a type 1 diabetic and have had episodes where I would not have a bowel movement for a week which is terribly painful. To prevent the constipation right now I am trying to go on a mostly vegetarian diet and a lot of fluid which is working but leaves me needing to change quite often

I'm glad You could find something that works for You. Are the plastic pants hot ? I mean do they contain moisture and cause You to sweat ? Are they a pull on type pants ? I'm quadriplegic. So I need something easy for My caregiver to put on or off. With the disposable briefs. Its easy for Me to just be rolled onto or off of the unfolded briefs and booster pads. Skin and rash issues are always important. So I'm always concerned about moister or humidity. I was mostly able to maintain a typical quadriplegic bowel program for years. With very few accidents. But once I progressed to the point of needing a feeding tube. Everything became out of wack. The pooping accidents became much more frequent and unpredictable. Thatand endless and dangerous UTIs. Caused Me to give up on catheters. And needing to use the adult diaper briefs full time. ughhh.

The plastic pants I have do pull on like regular underwear, but I searched online, and they do have ones that you can button on. Plastic pants do get hot but as I toss and turn a lot so I can't rely on staying on the bed pad I was also able to get a reusable bed pad to contain leaks. Recently I have been dealing with constipation and decided to try finding a new doctor because my blood sugars seem to behave better when I am able to poop every day. I do have nerve damage from the diabetes, so I am thinking about talking to my doctor about my issues with constipation which usually end up with major pooping accidents.

I returned to this thread. And thinking about what You said about the plastic covers. I had a couple of unfortunate moments in the last couple weeks. My briefs leaked after a accident and I got urine & stool. On the shorts I was wearing and the seat of My wheelchair. The thing is whenever this has happened. Either My husband or career just cleaned Me up and changed Me without any disscusion. I know They just didn't want to embarrassing Me or them further. The additude last few years is to just handle it. I have been looking at various plastic pants they sell on HDIS. I'm just not sure what to say or how to handle the discussion. To tell My husband or career to order them to help with containing My accidents ? Here is the links to what HDIS sells. Is this what You are talking about ? https://www.hdis.com/rubber-pant also this https://www.hdis.com/vinyl-pants

Those examples were what I was talking about but with you being in a wheelchair I would try finding something that you can open up when you need to be changed. As for how to talk about it, mention that your briefs have been leaking lately and to protect the seat of your wheelchair bedding, and clothing you feel that it would be best to look into plastic or rubber pants. Another thing I recommend is making sure your brief has leg guards as I have found most of my leaks happen around that area.

Sorry I didn't respond. I never did order the pants. I wear the Tranquility ATN over night disposable briefs.

I have been quite busy myself with doctors appointments as I have been dealing with upward of 4 large bowel movements a day with stomach pain and bloating. As for the plastic pants they are only really useful if you are having leakage so you might not need them, I only have mine because I sometimes use cloth diapers to cut down on cost and when I need extra protection as I can wear extra layers during those times. It is kind of gross when I poop in them but my insurance has at times not covered enough to get me through the month.

Thank You Sam. Sorry I didnt respond MS brain I guess. I forget stuff. My career ordered the plastic pants 3 I think from HDIS this morning. They are the pull on kind. If I wear overnight briefs with a booster or two briefs one large & one extra large. I don't often have a leak of Urine or stool. But it has happend usually when I'm in a sitting position. I'm feeling better lately and want to get out a little more often. I would be mortified if I was out in public and had a messy leak. Its happened in the past and it was horrific. I just want to wear what I can to minumize the risk. I hate incontinence and what MS has done to My body.

I am learning about the pains of living with MS myself. I have also had many messy accidents that leaked away from home, I am always afraid of messing myself because of the smell and when the diaper brief leaks when I am out in public it makes me want to isolate myself because of the embarrassment I feel. With pull on plastic pants it might make changing a little difficult if stool leaks out but changing on a chux will help. If this become a regular problem you may have to change the briefs you use. I have had to do that 3 times but often they offer samples instead of having to buy whole packs. Right now I am using the Megamax adult diapers briefs from Northshore and they work really well for me because of the wider absorbent area and the plastic landing strip makes changing easy. They are a little expensive but I need to do my laundry at a laundry mat so containment of stool is really important for me.

We use the briefs and pads that our insurance covers through HDIS or the local home healthcare & medical supply company We use. Its mostly the Tranquility products for incontinence. There has been others but I'm not sure what brands. In the mornings usually if I don't have to get out of bed. I can sit for periods of time in bed. But for incontinence I just lay on a pad. Its better for My skin to breath. I'm trying to avoid rashes and pressure sores. But I do have to wear the adult diaper briefs in my wheelchair. Its under My dress or skirt so nobody but My carer or family knows usually. But I've had some bad accidents and leaks. So I have to sit on the bed pad. Which is embarrassing. I'm hoping the plastic pants eliminate the need for that.

I am sorry I have not been on lately as I have a lot of doctors appointments. I think I might try laying on my bed without a brief on now we are moving into the summer time because rashes are horrible. I have some reusable chux that I use at night so I am a little nervous about having a bowel accident during the day. I could try finding a cloth backed diaper/brief to allow my skin to breath after I have a bowel movement. I don't think I would be able to use them all the time because of the volume of urine and poop released in an accident and the odor of my accidents.

I'm quadriplegic so I spend a lot of time in bed. Just laying on a overnight bed pad works fine most days. I only need the adult diaper briefs when I'm in My wheelchair. With complete loss of bladder and bowel control. Cloth backed briefs. Just don't really work. I was in a long term care center for about 6 months. They used cheap cloth backed briefs and even the better cloth backed over night briefs. As well as bed pads. Too many times I lost My bowel in My chair or bed. And thank goodness for the bed pad. Because the briefs did not do their job.