General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Suprapubic cystostomy [SPC]

My understanding from talking with other people online. And reading is the supra pubic catheter less likely to give you an infection than indwelling urethral catheters. With minimum urethral leaks. For years after My initial strokes. I used indwelling catheters. Which I suffered so many UTI infections. Several were really bad and required hospitalization. Not to mention incidents with careless or inexperienced caregivers. Painfully tugged on during transfers or the leg bag coming loose or overflowing. Causing urine to spill into My bed or wheelchair. As well as the times the antibiotics and medications. Used to treat the infections threw My bowel program off. Resulting in unpredictable bowel accidents. This has went on for years. In addition to all the other issues associated with quadriplegia and advanced stages of MS. I feel like My DRs and caregivers have given up on Me. And I have been semi bedridden using adult diaper briefs and bed pad chux for the last 3-4 years. The only solution to make it easier would be a supra pubic catheter and Colostomy for My bowel system.

Re: Suprapubic cystostomy [SPC]

Last November I asked if anybody had a suprapubic cyctostomy [SPC] and received some interesting rep[lies.
I have just suffered with an infection which neccesitated many trips to the bathroom. Again I considered an SPC but looked at the Coloplast web page where they show a Conveen Optima sheath and leg bag. This would have the advantage that there would be no operation, the catheter would not require replacing every few weeks, so it seemed a good idea.

Has anybody used this apparatus? If so, does it work satisfactorily? Is it comfortable, or does it pose probems?

I'm due to see my consultant soon and would be very appreciative if I had some answers to my questions before I meet him.

Any replies will be more than welcome.