General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Most diapers NOT designed to handle very large sustained flood.

Brian
Hey there Rob!

No correction needed. You are absolutely correct. Most diapers are just not made for a large flood like that. The only ones I can think of offhand that most likely would handle that (I leak all the time and flood a lot, but not THAT much at one time, with heavier fluid intake) are maybe the Northshore MegaMax, BetterDry "10" Briefs (highest absorbency) and maybe a couple others. The majority of disposable diapers on the market though will definitely not handle that kind of volume at one time. Noting Brandie's comment, the Tranquility ATN are decent, but have never had them handle a flood once they are wet.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Brian
I would classify ATN as a midrange brief, and when it comes to midrange briefs, I operate on a change-when-wet basis. When I am working, I usually opt for maximum protection premium type breifs, ie, Better Dry, Northshore, Crinkz, etc. I took 2 ditropan this morning as prescribed by my urologist, but that doesn't seem to calm things down at all. I went ahead and ordered a full case of Better Dry in addition to the 2 bags I got the other day. It seems like heavier protection will have to be a fashion statement for me for a while, unfortunately.

The Tranquility ATN work ok for Me. I have not had many leaks. I am really a medium but I wear a size large or extra large even. Most of the time I had a leak. Was if I just had a really bad accident bladder and bowels. Or if it happened when I was being transfered from bed to power chair or vice versa. I think people that can still walk. Tend to have more issues with leaks. I'm a small woman. But I have problems with quadriplegic spasms and MS tremors. Some days its bad. A lot of times in bed I just lay on a large bed pad. When My body leaks. My caregiver can just easily roll Me off the pad and change it. So I only have to use the adult diaper briefs. When I'm in My chair or to get through the night. We used the cheaper briefs and also the Secure Xplus which were really good. But the local healthcare supply we have used for years. Quit selling those I think.

Just to see how much my typical flood in the morning is, I used an old sauce container to measure the fluid of my bladder capacity after waking up after sleeping. This is normally when the really big floods happen so I thought I would be pretty secure in getting this as an accurate reading. The void filled the entire jar of Ragu Sauce. It wasn't quite to the top but it was close. That is 2 cups or 18 Oz or 500 ml of urine. All at once. Needless to say, most mid-range briefs will not handle that. If they do, a product will need to be changed immediately.

I rely on better dry with a booster inside that handles most of my average wettings. Yes major floods are a problem but I fortunately have few of those. Nightime is entirely different as I wet numerous times a night and the only solution is thick cloth diapers with comfortable plastic pants with all edges tucked in. I’m a primarily side sleeper and no disposables have ever worked for me overnight.

Doug
I rely on better dry with a booster inside that handles most of my average wettings. Yes major floods are a problem but I fortunately have few of those. Nightime is entirely different as I wet numerous times a night and the only solution is thick cloth diapers with comfortable plastic pants with all edges tucked in. I’m a primarily side sleeper and no disposables have ever worked for me overnight.
Hey Doug!

I am also a fan of Better Dry. But not in the summer.. In the summer I opt for Seni. Plastic backed products are too hot in the summer. Right now though, my use of dispsoables is minimal. I am using cloth as much as possible to save on money and enviormental waste. When i do use disposables, Better Dry is definetly one of my go-to brands for sure, depending on the weather.