Return to Website

Van Aken Forum

Questions, Answers, Genealogy Help, Lost Cousins, Search, History

Van Aken Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hannah Van Auken Clute

It is believed that my ancestor, Hiram Clute [twin of Harvey] was the son of Frederick Clute [b.1787] and Hannah Van Auken [b.c1798]. I'm fairly certain that they [Fred & Hannah] lived in Berne & then Knox, Albany Co., NY [near lots of Van Aken families], up thru 1840 and then moved to Callicoon, Sullivan Co., NY by 1860 [they seem to be missing from the 1850 census]. Fred & Hannah had many children, including Frederick, Ira, Hiram, Harvey, Abbott, Erastus and Naomi. Hiram migrated to Lisle, Broome County near Harvey and Abbott in Cortland County.

There was an Ira Van Auken and an Abbott McLain in Knox near Fred Clute, and an Alexander McLain near Erastus Clute in Middletown, Delaware Co., NY. Otherwise, I have no clue as to where "Ira", "Erastus", "Naomi" or "Abbott" originated since they are definitely NOT typical Clute names.

Is there any info out there that can help me with Hannah and her family?? I'd greatly appreciate hearing from someone and would gladly share any info I have. Thanks. Joyce Gaven.

Re: Hannah Van Auken Clute

Joyce, I checked our VA/VA Index and found a Hannah the right age but born in NJ. Just wondering if you had checked both Federal and NY State Census (1845, 1855, 1865)for Sullivan Co for Hannah to ascertain her county/state of birth for sure. Do you have her year of death and where? Is an obituary available? Please keep in touch! Ann

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

It is believed that my ancestor, Hiram Clute [twin of Harvey] was the son of Frederick Clute [b.1787] and Hannah Van Auken [b.c1798]. I'm fairly certain that they [Fred & Hannah] lived in Berne & then Knox, Albany Co., NY [near lots of Van Aken families], up thru 1840 and then moved to Callicoon, Sullivan Co., NY by 1860 [they seem to be missing from the 1850 census]. Fred & Hannah had many children, including Frederick, Ira, Hiram, Harvey, Abbott, Erastus and Naomi. Hiram migrated to Lisle, Broome County near Harvey and Abbott in Cortland County.

There was an Ira Van Auken and an Abbott McLain in Knox near Fred Clute, and an Alexander McLain near Erastus Clute in Middletown, Delaware Co., NY. Otherwise, I have no clue as to where "Ira", "Erastus", "Naomi" or "Abbott" originated since they are definitely NOT typical Clute names.

Is there any info out there that can help me with Hannah and her family?? I'd greatly appreciate hearing from someone and would gladly share any info I have. Thanks. Joyce Gaven.