Return to Website

Auchinleck Talbot Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message. Please do not use the Forum for personal insults and keep your views however strong to legitimate postings.

All views expressed are that of individuals and not that of Auchinleck Talbot.

Forum: Auchinleck Talbot Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
85-6 Junior Cup Final

Having arrived 5 years too late to have seen any of the "three in a row" I have to rely on the likes of the magnificent 7 video, and contemporary reports.
Had started re-reading the excellent book "The Juniors 100 years, a centenary history of Scottish Junior Football" and one of the first chapters was a report of the Final which was won by Talbot in extraordinary circumstances, coming back from 2-0 against Pollok to win 3-2, and all within the first 31 minutes.
What did surprise me, especially as the report billed the clubs as the best Junior teams in Scotland, was the small attendance - only 7,689. The weather was described as drizzly, but I doubt that would have kept any fnas away. The attendances in general were seemingly in terminal decline in the Junior Cup Finals, but I would have thought with Talbot starting their ascendancy to being the greatest ever Junior team would have taken that amount themselves, it being their first Junior Cup Final sicne 1949 (attendance 68,837 the second biggest attendance ever, the largest being the 51 Final between Medda and Petershill which pulled in an incredible 77,650)
Any particular reason why it was such a low turnout?
Looking at the teams competing in that season's tournament, there's a lot of names no longer in the Junior game, among them Rothes Decimals; Dundee Stobswell; Perth Celtic; Dunfermline Jubilee Athletic; Glenboig (didn't we play them in one Junior Cup campaign?) Rosslyn Sports; Cuminestown; Halbeath; Comrie Colliery; Polkemmet and numerous others.
Any individual memories of that particular campaign? What kind of attendances were there in the three games against the Medda in the quarter finals? I assume a fair bit of drink would have been consumed in the village during the aftermatch celebrations?

Re: 85-6 Junior Cup Final - by wee bob - Feb 7, 2009 10:14am
Re: Re: 85-6 Junior Cup Final - by Big Jumbo - Feb 7, 2009 10:59am
Re: Re: 85-6 Junior Cup Final - by Isabel Goudie - Feb 7, 2009 11:03am
Re: Re: Re: 85-6 Junior Cup Final - by D Robertson - Feb 7, 2009 11:35am
Re: 85-6 Junior Cup Final - by Botman - Feb 7, 2009 8:19pm
Re: Re: 85-6 Junior Cup Final - by Talbot Bairn - Feb 7, 2009 8:34pm
Re: Re: Re: 85-6 Junior Cup Final - by Lord Talbot - Feb 8, 2009 12:31am
Re: Re: Re: Re: 85-6 Junior Cup Final - by Southerner - Feb 8, 2009 11:19am
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools