Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Private Edward Coffee, 13th Iowa Infantry

I have a cdv of Private Edward Coffee, 13th Iowa Infantry. I only know that he was wounded at the battle of Shiloh. Any background material would be of interest to me.

Thanks,
Howard Mann

Re: Private Edward Coffee, 13th Iowa Infantry

This appears to be the Private Ezra D. Coffee/Caffee (you may be reading his initials as "ED"?) shown in Company F of the 13th Iowa Infantry. His last name is spelled both ways in the military records. Members of Company F were from Scott and Linn Counties. According to something that I found on the internet, Private Caffee was 18 when he enlisted at Anamosa on Oct. 15, 1861. At the battle of Shiloh in Tennessee on April 6, 1862 he was wounded in the leg. He re-enlisted on Jan. 1, 1864, and was mustered out on July 21, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky.

I think that the following is his obituary:

CAFFEE, Ezra D. (d. 1918)

Ezra D. Caffee, aged 74 years, passed away at his home, 4417 Carlyon street, at an early hour on the morning of Saturday, January 26, after an illness of only a few hours. Mr. Caffee had resided at the place of death for the past nine years, and in the State of Washington for twenty-three years. He was a member of J. B. Steedman post no. 24, G.A.R. and is survived by Mrs. Caffee, three daughters and one brother, Mrs. E. S. Day, Miss Lula V. Caffee, of Bellingham; Mrs. J. T. Owens, Sand Springs, Mont., and A. B. Caffee, Martelle, Ia. Funeral services will be held Monday, January 28, at 10:30 o'clock a. m. from the funeral parlors of Harry O. Bingham, 1319 Dock street with Rev. C. B. Sears, pastor of the Silver Beach M. E. church, officiating. Interment will be made in the family plot in Bay View cemetery, according to the ritualistic service of the Grand Army of the Republic.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 26, 1918)

Re: Re: Private Edward Coffee, 13th Iowa Infantry

Hayes.... Thanks. This is great! I bought a cdv of this individual which contained his signature and him in civil war uniform. Since it was a bust photo and no arms or cap, it was a little hard to tell.

Are you interested in the 13th Iowa?

Howard Mann

Re: Re: Private Edward Coffee, 13th Iowa Infantry

Hayes..... Sorry it took so long (2 years) but this is great information. I purchased Ezra's CDV several years ago for almost nothing and have always wanted to learn more about him. You are right about the initials written in pencil on his picture. If you wouldl like to let me know your e-mail, I would be happy to send you a scanned image of Ezra.