Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arrested during the Civil War

I have a G G Uncle DeLionel Haines that joined the Iowa Volunteer Infantry, known as the Fighting Hawkeyes, on July 15, 1861 for a period of 3 years. He was mustered in on August 15, 1861 and was assigned to the 4th Regiment, Company ‘A’, with the rank of Private.

His Company Muster Roll record reads:
Sept 1st 1861 Present
Sept & Oct 1861 Present
Nov & Dec 1861 Absent Under Arrest
Jan & Feb 1862 Absent In arrest & confinement at Rolla Missouri
Mar & Apr 1862 Absent In arrest & confinement at Springfield Missouri
May & Jun 1862 Absent Deserted April 6th at Springfield Missouri

Recorded deserted by May 1st
Name not found on Company M. O. R.

The 4th Regiment Infantry was Organized at Council Bluffs, Iowa and mustered in on August 8, 1861. They moved to St. Louis, Missouri, then to Rolla, Missouri from August 9th to the 24th. They were attached to the department of Missouri on December 1861 and the 1st Brigade, 4th Division, Army southwest Missouri on May 1862.

DeLionel saw service duty at Rolla, Missouri, from August 24, 1861, until his arrest in late October or early November of 1861. His Company was on expedition to Houston and Salem against Freeman’s forces November 1-9, 1861 while he was in confinement. His company marched from Rolla to Lebanon Missouri on January 22-31, 1861 while he was still under arrest and confined at Rolla Missouri. They advanced on Springfield, Missouri, February 10-13 and were in pursuit of Price to Cassville February 13-17, Cane Creek February 14th, Sugar Creek February 17th, and Blackburn’s Mills February 27th. His Company engaged in the Battles of Pea Ridge March 6-8th while he was confined in Springfield as his Unit marched to Batesville April 5 to May 3rd.

During the Batesville march, sometime around April 6th near Springfield Missouri, DeLionel escaped his arrest and deserted his unit. The Union army listed him as “deserted,” as of May 1st, 1862.

This is all I know about DeLionel. My question is: How can I find out what he was arrested for and how was he confined during his arrest period? His service record only tells me that he was arrested.

Thank You,
Dennis Haines

Re: Arrested during the Civil War

The Iowa Roster just records his desertion on May 1, 1862. The Adjutant General's Reports might give more information, but since he was not court martialed there's probably no further record of him.
Clark