Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Capt. Ebenezer Gilpin 3rd Iowa Cavalry

Am seeking an image of Capt. Ebenezar Gilpin of the 3rd Iowa Cavalry who, along with his brother Tom, served on the staff of General Emory Upton during Wilson's Alabama-Georgia Raid in 1865. Have been through images at the Iowa State Historical Society, but don't recall seeing one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CAM

Re: Capt. Ebenezer Gilpin 3rd Iowa Cavalry

Did you check the Historcal Society in both Des Moines and Iowa City? Also suggest you contact Mark Warren of Bloomfield Iowa. He has an exetensive collection of Iowa images and if he can't help I imagine he can give you some useful advice on who else to ask.
Clark

Re: Re: Capt. Ebenezer Gilpin 3rd Iowa Cavalry

Thanks for the reply. I have already had the staff at both the Des Moines and Iowa City facilities look for any image, but they have been unable to locate one. I met Mark a year or so ago, and he has been helpful to me in providing images of several other individuals, but does not have a picture of Gilpin. Are you aware of any other individuals who specialize in Iowa images? If so, I would be very excited to know how to get in touch with them. Once again, thanks for your speedy reply. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
CAM

Re: Re: Re: Capt. Ebenezer Gilpin 3rd Iowa Cavalry

This is a long shot, but Ebenezer Gilpin wrote a journal which was published in the Journal of the United States Cavalry Asssociation (vol 18, 1908). I've never seen it, but I have seen a bibliographic reference to it, and there are portraits in the article, maybe one of the author.
Clark

Re: Re: Re: Re: Capt. Ebenezer Gilpin 3rd Iowa Cavalry

Thanks for your response. I have a transcript of Gilpin's Journal, but have not seen the one published in the USCA Magazine. I will try to get my hands on a copy of it. Hopefully it will have a picture included. Thanks again for your help.

CAM