Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Battle of Mine Creek

THE FIGHT WITH MARMADUKE AND CABELL

PARTICULARS OF THEIR CAPTURE

AN AUTHENTIC STATEMENT

Rolla, Mo., November 9, 1864
Editors of the Missouri Democrat

On my return from the front I was somewhat astonished to read a dispatch in the St. Louis papers, from Col. J. T. Phillips, in which he claims for his brigade the entire credit of the grand charge on the 25th of last month, and does not allude even to any participation by any other command in the affair. The fact is, Colonel Phillips’ brigade did not advance on the enemy until the 4th brigade, commanded by Col. F. W. Benteen, of the 10th Missouri cavalry, (Cornyn’s old regiment) had effectually and successfully charged the rebels and driven them from their guns. Two stands of colors, the arms and equipments of General Marmaduke, and many other trophies, still in the possession of the brigade, are the silent witnesses of the valor of the brave boys of Col. Benteen’s command. General Marmaduke was captured by private James Dunleavy, of company “A” 3d Iowa cavalry, and General Cabell by Sergeant C.M. Young, of the same company and regiment.

Benteen’s charge was made promptly, and according to General Cabell’s word, just in the nick of time, for one moment later he intended to charge upon Phillips’ brigade, and had just passed the word for it when Colonel Benteen suddenly appeared upon the scene with his command, and as suddenly poured down upon their right, completely routing it, capturing their artillery and rendering his intended action of no avail.

I would not trouble you about it at this late day were it not that I cannot see a brave commander and his gallant men robbed of those honors for which they even risked their lives. Colonel Phillips’ brigade made no charge until ours had turned the enemy’s right, and I am surprised that any one bearing the character of a soldier and a gentleman, should attempt to appropriate, to say the least of it, the laurels which are another’s. Yours, truly,
J. F. YOUNG
Captain 10th Cavalry Missouri Volunteers, A.A.A.G., 4th Brigade Cavalry Division.