Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
J. Valentine Harbert

Seeking information on J. Valentine Harbert, surname also variously spelled Halbert or Harbort, who enlisted in Company D, Hampton's Legion (S.C.) at Williamston, S.C., and was msutered into Confederate service on 14 Jun 1861. He is shown present on all the msuter rolls of the company through June 1862, when he was transferred to the Field & Staff of the Legion to serve in the Legion Band. Apparently when not "tooting" they were shooting, for several members of the samll band became casualties in the course of the war. He is shown as on furlough on the Nov-Dec 63 muster roll, but present on all others, although most of the rolls for 1864 and all of 1865 are missing. He was aproled mounted at Appomattox. (The Legion infantry, to which he belonged, had been converted to mounted infantry in April, 1864.)
He is shown on the 1860 census living in Willaimston as "Valentine Herbert." Accordingly to a news item in a weekly paper, he came home for a visit to Williamston in Jan 1891,; the article stated that he had moved to Nebraska ca 1866, then removed to Des Moines, where he was engaghed in "truck farming" in the city limits. I believe he was still living as late as 1901, because he is so reflected on one of the rolls of the survivors of the company, which held annual reunions for a number of years. Can anyone help me with this man? I see that William Harbert form Indiana moved to Des Moines, and I specualte that JVH moved to Iowa to be near his cousins.

Re: J. Valentine Harbert

I find on the WPA Gravesite
Juliu V. Harbort
Born 1-23-1839
Died 12-35-1923
Buried Wooland Cemetery
Des Moines Polk County Iowa
Age 24 Civil War
Bob

Re: Re: J. Valentine Harbert

That almost certain is him. I assume the Juliu is "Julius". Now to try to get his obituary!
Thank you very much. As I logged on, and got ready to go to the Iowa board, my thought was, "Ah, I won't get an answer to that posting." And was I ever wrong! Thank you very much. I've been trying to track down these fellows for years, and Ive located one in an obscure little town in southeastern Washington, one who returned to his native New Brunswick and is buried in Saint John; even one buried at sea en route from British Columbia back to his native Tasmania, but Harbert is the first member of Hampton's Legion I've been able to identify as dying and buried in Iowa. I suspect there may be more. Again, a big thank you.
Lee