Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: William G. Lehigh

Tim,

Have you been able to rule out burial back home? It would not have been overly difficult to have his remains brought home at or shortly after death.

If buried in Iowa City, I think it's unlikely he would have been buried right around Camp Pope, since they were in a city with at least one large public cemetery (Oakland) and other private ones. The military authorities likely arranged with local leadership to bury soldiers (I'm sure there were other soldier deaths). Have you checked Oakland's interment records?

Jeffry

Re: Re: William G. Lehigh

Jeffry: Thanks for the response. I will check the Oakland Cemetery and any other private cemteries around Iowa City.

NOTE: I did check around the Knoxville area and could not find out any information on his buriel there.

Again, thanks for the information.

Tim

Re: Re: Re: William G. Lehigh

Good luck, and let us know if you find out anything.

Jeffry

Re: William G. Lehigh

You might check an obituary for a Francis Marion Lehigh born 1847 died 1 Oct 1923 buried Columbia Cemetery Marion County Iowa. It may be in the 6 Oct 1923 of the Knoxville Express. This from the WPA Graves records of the 1930's. If the Knoxville paper doesn't have a copy the Iowo Historical Library in Des Moines has copies of old newspapers on microfilm. You might get someone there to look it up for you. Some times there is mention of relatives on the obituary.
Bob