Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
POW

Hello there. My name is Sean and I am researching my great great grandfather Abram Lewis Long. Abe was born in 1840 in Indiana. In 1862 he enlisted in the Army in Iowa. I have found these records. Abram Lewis Long Regiment 39th Iowa Infantry, Company D. My mom has told me that the family story says, that after Abe was marching for a long time in the cold and rain they ended up in a battle against a bigger army (Possibly General Nathan Bedford Forrest soldiers)Whatever happened Abe became a POW for the next year. I am trying to find which prison he was in or where to look if he was not in a typical prison. Anyway, if ya wanna know the rest of the story here goes. After Abe and the 100 of his fellow soldiers were freed, they fought bravely in each of the following battles. Snake Creek Gap, Lays Ferry, The Battle of Alltoona, and more. Abe survived. The story says Company D of the 39th Iowa infantry met up with Sherman and marched to the sea. They took part in all the grand glory after the war in Washington DC. If anyone has any information about the prisons please reply. Good day

Re: POW

According to the history of the 39th Iowa:

On December 18, 1862, Colonel Cummings was ordered to report with his regiment to General G. M. Dodge, at Corinth, Miss. but, while enroute to that place by rail, the Colonel received orders to halt at Jackson, Tenn., and reinforce the troops at that place. There it lay in the trenches for four days, expecting an attack from the rebel forces commanded by the rebel General Forrest, then operating in that vicinity. Upon learning that the Union troops at Jackson had been reinforced, General Forrest withdrew his troops towards the north, and, for the time being, confined his operations to the destruction of the railroad over which troops and supplies for the Union army had been transported. An expedition was hastily organized by General Sullivan—composed of two brigades detached from the garrison at Jackson—to proceed against the rebel forces under General Forrest and drive them away from the railroad. One of these brigades was composed of the Thirty-ninth Iowa, Fiftieth Indiana, and One Hundred Twentysecond Illinois Regiments. This brigade, under command of Colonel Dunham of the Fiftieth Indiana; was ordered to move out in advance of the other troops, and—as will appear from the following extracts, taken from the official reports of Colonels Dunham and Cummings—was kept so far in advance of the other troops that, when it encountered the enemy, it was compelled to fight the battle of Red Mound—or Parker's Cross Roads— without support, the other brigade arriving on the field just as the enemy was leaving it. Colonel Cummings thus describes the march and the engagement:

. . . We were ordered to march at dark on December 27th, each man to carry five days rations and one hundred rounds of ammunition. Not a team or ambulance was with the regiment upon this, Its first march. Just from Iowa, many but a couple of weeks out of hospital, all worn out by short rations and loss of sleep, and over burdened by carrying rations and ammunition, those who have been in the service will appreciate the condition of the men. We marched all night, falling into camp near daylight. At eight o'clock we were ordered to resume the march, which we
continued during the day. The next morning many of the men were completely worn out, others were too foot-sore to proceed and we were compelled to leave over one hundred men. During the day they attempted to make their way back to Trenton but were surrounded, at Shady Grove, by a regiment of Forrest's cavalry, and one hundred and one men were made prisoners. These men did not rejoin the regiment until in October, 1863...

There's no information on what prison the men were went to, but if they were in custody for nearly a year, I would guess Cahaba, Macon, or Salisbury.