Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Walnut Hills, Miss.

I have a death certificate for my relative, William Martin, that says he died at the "Small Pox Hospital at Walnut Hills, Miss." on April 24, 1863. He was in the Iowa infantry. I am looking for his place of burial.

Re: Walnut Hills, Miss.

Looking in the Rosters, I find several William Martins, some of whom died of disease. But no one who died at Walnut Mills.

Clark

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have a death certificate for my relative, William Martin, that says he died at the "Small Pox Hospital at Walnut Hills, Miss." on April 24, 1863. He was in the Iowa infantry. I am looking for his place of burial.

Re: Walnut Hills, Miss.

Walnut Hills was the original name for Vicksburg, dating back to before Mr. Vick (whoever he might have been) came along. Chances are your ancestor is buried at the Vicksburg National Cemetery, although quite possibly in an "Unknown" grave. Most (many?) of the dead Union soldiers from throughout the South were disinterred in 1867-68 and moved to nearby National Cemeteries.