Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3rd Iowa Calvary

I am looking for information regarding the 3rd Iowa Calvary Regiment. They participated in several skirmishes in Arkansas. Their battle honors shows Salem, Arkansas. I am looking to find specific info regarding this skirmish.

Re: 3rd Iowa Calvary

There's an unpublished manuscript by one W. H. H. Barker, who was in the 3rd Iowa Cavalry and was at Salem. A few years back I had intended to publish this, but the project got pushed to the back burner, then fell behind the stove. Maybe some day I'll get back to it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am looking for information regarding the 3rd Iowa Calvary Regiment. They participated in several skirmishes in Arkansas. Their battle honors shows Salem, Arkansas. I am looking to find specific info regarding this skirmish.

Re: Re: 3rd Iowa Calvary

I've recently done some research on the 3rd Iowa. The best resources for unit are to be found at both of the Iowa State Historical Society Libraries. One is in Iowa City and the other in Des Moines. They have excellent collections and are very helpful.

Replying to:

There's an unpublished manuscript by one W. H. H. Barker, who was in the 3rd Iowa Cavalry and was at Salem. A few years back I had intended to publish this, but the project got pushed to the back burner, then fell behind the stove. Maybe some day I'll get back to it.

Replying to:

Re: 3rd Iowa Calvary

Hi, I am the webmaster for the 3rd Iowa Cavalry. You are right they were in many skimishes before wars end. I do not have any of the details of this particular campaign, but, I am sure you can find it in the War of the Rebellion. In most cases you can find this collection of civil war history in many of the colleges, universities, or even at your local library. Hope this can help.

www.iowa3rdcavalry.com