Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 8th Iowa Cavalry in 1865

Scott, I included this campaign in my book, Tannehill & the Growth of the Alabama Iron Industry published in 1999. You can get it (including extensive references at www.tannehill.org. Look for Tannehill book.

I am looking for pictures of any 8th Iowa Cav. troopers.

Jim Bennett

Birmingham, Alabama

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am researching the activities of the First Brigade of the First Division, Cavalry Corps, Military Department of the Mississippi, in April 1865. Commanded by Brig. Gen. John T. Croxton, this detachment of Wilson's Raid into Alabama destroyed the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa. Regiments in active service on this campaign included 8th Iowa Cavalry, 6th Kentucky Cavalry, 4th Kentucky Mounted Infantry, and 2nd Michigan Cavalry. I have discovered numerous primary resource materials related to the 8th Iowa Cav, and am continuing to seek more letters, diaries, reports, contemporary newspaper articles, memoirs, etc. which might relate to the events of April 5-8, 1865, in west Alabama.