Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Ponder books: for Bruce Nicholls

Clark,

What are some of the OP titles that you'd like to see reprinted?

Drew

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Carolyn Bartels has taken over Ponder books and will be publishing/distributing what he has written. I suggested she look into redoing his older stuff that's been out of print for years.

Clark

Replying to:

Drew,

I have not read the other three books you mentioned, so I cannot give meaningful reply about them. Perhaps someone else will reply about the Fredericktown and Chalk Bluff books. I have read other of Mr. Ponder's works and I sympathize with your assessment of his obvious bias. Nevertheless, Ponder's history of the 15th stands above this tendency, and I hope some of the other ones do too. Try them first via interlibrary loan, if you like, to preview them before you invest. Besides, Jim McGhee writes about the bootheel war and others cannot be far behind him.

Bruce Nichols

Replying to:

I read with great interested Mr. Nicholls's review of Ponder's book on the 15th Mo Cav. I am always wanting to read more about the CW in the Bootheel region and Mr. Ponder seems to be one of the few that concentrate there. Way back, I bought Ponder's book on Price's Raid and marvelled about how bad it was. It was only around 120 pages and the first half was just a vitriolic litany of Federal abuses that left me wondering if he forgot what the subject was Anyway, I threw it away rather than return it to Clark and resolved never to buy another Ponder book. So then Bruce gives the 15th Mo book a positive review and I am thinking there is hope for the Fredericktown and Chalk Bluff books (subjects I find of great interest). Bruce (or anyone else) have you read these two books and the Price's Raid book and find them of the same tone and quality? thanks. drew

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ponder books: for Bruce Nicholls

Speaking only from the viewpoint of a bookseller (since there are some people who don't like Jerry Ponder's books), it would be nice if Carolyn could reprint FORT MASON TEXAS: TRAINING GROUND FOR GENERALS; CONFEDERATE SURRENDER AND PAROLE: JACKSONPORT AND WITTSBURG ARKANSAS; and his book on Price's Raid (despite your assessment, it was one of the fastest selling books I've ever carried). I remember seeing a reference to an obscure book he wrote on a Missouri Confederate regiment in the bibliography of PRICE'S LIEUTENANTS, but I may be mistaken. Anyway, the cover of the book on Marmaduke claimed that he had written 22 other books, so there must be some titles I don't know about. Maybe the others have nothing to do with the CW. I've done an Internet search and can't find references to any but the well known titles.

Clark

Replying to:

Clark,

Drew

Replying to:

Carolyn Bartels has taken over Ponder books and will be publishing/distributing what he has written. I suggested she look into redoing his older stuff that's been out of print for years.

Clark

Replying to:

Drew,

I have not read the other three books you mentioned, so I cannot give meaningful reply about them. Perhaps someone else will reply about the Fredericktown and Chalk Bluff books. I have read other of Mr. Ponder's works and I sympathize with your assessment of his obvious bias. Nevertheless, Ponder's history of the 15th stands above this tendency, and I hope some of the other ones do too. Try them first via interlibrary loan, if you like, to preview them before you invest. Besides, Jim McGhee writes about the bootheel war and others cannot be far behind him.

Bruce Nichols

Replying to:

I read with great interested Mr. Nicholls's review of Ponder's book on the 15th Mo Cav. I am always wanting to read more about the CW in the Bootheel region and Mr. Ponder seems to be one of the few that concentrate there. Way back, I bought Ponder's book on Price's Raid and marvelled about how bad it was. It was only around 120 pages and the first half was just a vitriolic litany of Federal abuses that left me wondering if he forgot what the subject was Anyway, I threw it away rather than return it to Clark and resolved never to buy another Ponder book. So then Bruce gives the 15th Mo book a positive review and I am thinking there is hope for the Fredericktown and Chalk Bluff books (subjects I find of great interest). Bruce (or anyone else) have you read these two books and the Price's Raid book and find them of the same tone and quality? thanks. drew

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ponder books: for Bruce Nicholls

Ponders Out of Print Books should stay out of print unless revised and vetted by unbiased serious researchers.

Replying to:

Speaking only from the viewpoint of a bookseller (since there are some people who don't like Jerry Ponder's books), it would be nice if Carolyn could reprint FORT MASON TEXAS: TRAINING GROUND FOR GENERALS; CONFEDERATE SURRENDER AND PAROLE: JACKSONPORT AND WITTSBURG ARKANSAS; and his book on Price's Raid (despite your assessment, it was one of the fastest selling books I've ever carried). I remember seeing a reference to an obscure book he wrote on a Missouri Confederate regiment in the bibliography of PRICE'S LIEUTENANTS, but I may be mistaken. Anyway, the cover of the book on Marmaduke claimed that he had written 22 other books, so there must be some titles I don't know about. Maybe the others have nothing to do with the CW. I've done an Internet search and can't find references to any but the well known titles.

Clark

Replying to:

Clark,

Drew

Replying to:

Clark

Replying to:

Drew,

Bruce Nichols

Replying to:

Bruce Nicholls: your upcoming McFarland book

btw, I am looking forward to your McFarland press book on the 1862 guerrilla war in Mo. Do you think it will make the Fall 2003 projected release?

Replying to:

Drew,

Bruce Nichols

Replying to: