Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
15th Mo. Cav.

William Righter. Too puny to serve. That draft-dodger bugged out and skeddadled for St. Louis right when Shelby implemented his strict conscription policy. Righter, Noble Confederate Hero. What a joke.

Didn't it ever occur to anybody that there is no record of the 15th Missouri Cavalry before the summer of 1864. Nothing, Nothing, Nothing a year and a half before that time when Jerry Ponder says it was formed and when he says Righter was in charge.

All primary records show the only commander the 15th ever had was Timothy Reeves. The materials state Tim Reeves was given authority to RAISE a regiment--not take control of one whose commander had been captured with Jeff Thompson. The whole premise of the book on the 15th Mo. Cav. sets on a house of cards.

When Bruce Nichols cites this book in his own work, I will be interested in seeing whether he deals with this. I will ask him straight out right now--

What is it about Jerry Ponder that makes some writers unconcerned with his failure to source his more controversial statements? Is the story more important than the facts?

Isn't it important for a historian to provide his sources? You do don't you?

And doesn't it bother you when a man that clearly did not serve as a soldier during the Civil War is made out to be a colonel in the Confederate army? In my thinking, this ranks right up there with the guy that says he served in Nam when he was really at home burning his draft card.

This bothers me, a lot, and maybe it does some of you other fellers.

Re: 15th Mo. Cav.

Mike, Willard, and Clark,

I am now receiving information from outside this forum that casts serious doubts about Colonel Righter having ever served as commander of the 15th Regiment and serious doubts about Major Wilson's Union troops ever killing noncombatants at Pulliam's in December 1863. I need to study this more, but it appears that Mike and Willard are correct. Fortunately, the only time I have cited Ponder's "History of the 15th" in print is as one of multiple sources for the expedition of the 30 August through 6 September 1862 expedition of the 13th Ill Cav and 24th MO Inf through Ripley County. In this instance, corroborated by several other sources, I have not miscarried accuracy.

You fellas have prevented me from making a big mistake in future writings. I gratefully thank you.

Clark, do you want me to replace my book review of Ponder with another?

Bruce Nichols

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

William Righter. Too puny to serve. That draft-dodger bugged out and skeddadled for St. Louis right when Shelby implemented his strict conscription policy. Righter, Noble Confederate Hero. What a joke.

Didn't it ever occur to anybody that there is no record of the 15th Missouri Cavalry before the summer of 1864. Nothing, Nothing, Nothing a year and a half before that time when Jerry Ponder says it was formed and when he says Righter was in charge.

All primary records show the only commander the 15th ever had was Timothy Reeves. The materials state Tim Reeves was given authority to RAISE a regiment--not take control of one whose commander had been captured with Jeff Thompson. The whole premise of the book on the 15th Mo. Cav. sets on a house of cards.

When Bruce Nichols cites this book in his own work, I will be interested in seeing whether he deals with this. I will ask him straight out right now--

What is it about Jerry Ponder that makes some writers unconcerned with his failure to source his more controversial statements? Is the story more important than the facts?

And doesn't it bother you when a man that clearly did not serve as a soldier during the Civil War is made out to be a colonel in the Confederate army? In my thinking, this ranks right up there with the guy that says he served in Nam when he was really at home burning his draft card.

Re: Re: 15th Mo. Cav.

"Clark, do you want me to replace my book review of Ponder with another?"

I'll leave that up to you, Bruce.

Replying to:

Mike, Willard, and Clark,

I am now receiving information from outside this forum that casts serious doubts about Colonel Righter having ever served as commander of the 15th Regiment and serious doubts about Major Wilson's Union troops ever killing noncombatants at Pulliam's in December 1863. I need to study this more, but it appears that Mike and Willard are correct. Fortunately, the only time I have cited Ponder's "History of the 15th" in print is as one of multiple sources for the expedition of the 30 August through 6 September 1862 expedition of the 13th Ill Cav and 24th MO Inf through Ripley County. In this instance, corroborated by several other sources, I have not miscarried accuracy.

You fellas have prevented me from making a big mistake in future writings. I gratefully thank you.

Clark, do you want me to replace my book review of Ponder with another?

Bruce Nichols

Replying to: