Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: John Hunt Morgan and Mansfield

There aren't any good detailed modern battle studies of Mansfield that I know of. The best account I've seen is the article in North & South magazine vol. 6 #2. There are lots of single volume works on the campaign that do Mansfield in some detail. Though older, I still think Ludwell Johnson's "Politics and Cotton" is the best. The new one by Gary Joiner is very brief on the battles. "War Along the Bayous" by William Riley Brooksher is pretty good to go along with Johnson. I haven't read the one by Michael Forsyth so can't comment on it. "Dark and Bloody Ground" by Thomas Ayres is awful garbage. The subtitle certainly implies the book is about the Battle of Mansfield but only one small chapter is dedicated to it, much less detail than even the general histories mentioned above. I would buy the Johnson book and the back issue of N&S that contains the Mansfield article.

As for JHM, the most modern bio that I can recall is the one by James Ramage "Rebel Raider". I haven't read any of the JHM bios so I can't comment on quality.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

One of my customers in a foreign country wants to know what is the definitive study of John Hunt Morgan, and is there a good history of the Battle of Mansfield. Anyone know the answers?

Clark

Re: Re: John Hunt Morgan and Mansfield

Thanks, Drew.

Replying to:

There aren't any good detailed modern battle studies of Mansfield that I know of. The best account I've seen is the article in North & South magazine vol. 6 #2. There are lots of single volume works on the campaign that do Mansfield in some detail. Though older, I still think Ludwell Johnson's "Politics and Cotton" is the best. The new one by Gary Joiner is very brief on the battles. "War Along the Bayous" by William Riley Brooksher is pretty good to go along with Johnson. I haven't read the one by Michael Forsyth so can't comment on it. "Dark and Bloody Ground" by Thomas Ayres is awful garbage. The subtitle certainly implies the book is about the Battle of Mansfield but only one small chapter is dedicated to it, much less detail than even the general histories mentioned above. I would buy the Johnson book and the back issue of N&S that contains the Mansfield article.

As for JHM, the most modern bio that I can recall is the one by James Ramage "Rebel Raider". I haven't read any of the JHM bios so I can't comment on quality.

Replying to:

One of my customers in a foreign country wants to know what is the definitive study of John Hunt Morgan, and is there a good history of the Battle of Mansfield. Anyone know the answers?

Clark

Re: Re: John Hunt Morgan and Mansfield

I probably should have provide the full title..."Red River Campaign: Politics and Cotton in the Civil War"

Replying to:

Replying to:

Clark