Return to Website

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum

Welcome to our inflatable boats forum. Feel free to post a message.

Profanity, racist comments and other postings done in poor taste will be removed immediately and your IP will be banned form this service. 

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
good to have this forum

o.k., second attempt at it, I just deleted a rather lenghty message I had written.

It's good to have a forum like this, although it seems it doesn't have much traffic.

I've got a Seaeagle 12.6, so far rather happy with it.

Reasons why I got an inflatable...

1. Space, I don't have lots of it so storing was an issue since day one. This boat and all of its equipment fit almost anywhere. I still need a truck to carry the boat, outboard, gas tank, fishing & camping equipment, etc., but I have avoided the need for a trailer.
2. Difficult to sink. I've had a few close calls so the feeling of being on a boat that won't give up easily was important to me.
3. Cost, initial investment, operation and long term keeping is lower than a hard hull.

things I would've done differentely...

1. larger outboard. I got a 15hp 2 stroke mercury, whished I had gotten a 20 or 25HP. 15 is good to what I do and when I'm alone on the boat it certainly gains speed. Get a fishing buddy or two, gas, gear and a cooler and it takes you and gets you back, but at a much slower pace.
2. Adjust it for altitude operation sooner. When I bought I was living in Portland, Or., nowadays I live in Mexico close to El Paso, Tx., and where I use it is about 1,300 meters above sea level. When I finally did it, the difference was quite significant.
3. Not mess up the boat's paint by "painting" the registration number. Should've used the PVC numbers that are available.

The boat is a Seaeagle 12.6r with a 15HP 2 stroke Mercury.

Regards,

Omar

Re: good to have this forum

Omar H , Hello, I bought the Sea Eagle 9.6
last year. Its both big and small. It fits
in my Talon, but it can carry 1000 Lbs and
hold up to an 8HP motor. I love it. Last
trip, the boat hit a tree stump pretty darn hard.
After the trip, we looked at the bottom of the
boat. Not even a nick or scratch were found. These
boats are incredible!!Eddie

Re: Re: good to have this forum

Eddie,

you bet!

I on the other hand was "able" to puncture the side with a rather sharp thorn, but that was after the boat had pounded against the shore all night with strong winds. I did't notice the bush I left the boat next to. I fixed it with the supplied materials and have been boating without problems ever since.

Omar

Re: Re: Re: good to have this forum

Omar, sorry about the puncture. The material
seems so strong. But I added extra material on
the sides of all the tubes just to be really bullet
proof. Where did you purchase your boat? Eddie

I bought it directly from Seaeagle. The outboard I got from a local inflatable boat shop in Portland, Or.

These boats probably don't need extra protection, unless you drag them through real nasty places.

Can't wait for spring to come and go back fishing.

Omar

Omar, How long is your set up time? Do you have dolly
wheels? Also, you are correct..Extra protection is
not needed with these boats. I inflate with the
BST pump...this pump is great!!..ED

I'm a first timer and am in the process of outfiting my new boat. I puchased a 12'Alpine 365...air floor. I'm looking at a 9.8 Tahatsu 4 stroke motor because of weight issues. though I would love to have a 15hp. My question is can I get an electric start model and use a small motorcycle battery to start the engine...what do you do with the battery on an inflatable...
Thanks for any thoughts
John

John,

There are some battery cases that you can use to protect the boat mainly. I guess my main question is why use an electric start model? The battery will only add weight, cost and the potential for a leak of acid. So why do it? Can't you get a manual start model instead. They are quite reliable.

Also, may I suggest you try to get the larger HP outboard. Heck, even if it means waiting a little longer to get it. It will be worth it. As I said in my initial post, I have a 15HP and feel I would truly prefer more HP from the outboard.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Omar

Omar thanks for the thoughts..You've convinced me not to go with the electric start....I keep looking at outboards in 4 stroke that I can comfortably move around by myself...all the 15's I find run 114lbs+
the 9.9 Tahatsu is at 81 lbs and I think I can move that around pretty well...I hear that Johnson is supposed to come out with something "lighter" in the small engine this fall but no one seems to know for certain when...I got the itch and I need to fish...seems that I may be stuck with the 9,9.
John g