Return to Website

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum

Welcome to our inflatable boats forum. Feel free to post a message.

Profanity, racist comments and other postings done in poor taste will be removed immediately and your IP will be banned form this service. 

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nissan Outboards

Hi,

Does anybody have any info on Nissan 9.9hp outboards?

Thanks.

Re: Nissan Outboards

I had one a few years ago. Very lightweight and reliable.

From what I understand, these are Tohatsu outboards marketed under the Nissan brand.

Changed it for a larger Mercury mainly to get more HP.

Omar

Re: Re: Nissan Outboards

Yes Nissan and Tohatsu are the same motor. I have a Tohatsu 5 HP and it is pretty good. I fish alot and the only problem I have noticed with the motor is that it is not the best motor to troll with. For whatever reason it runs good then suddenly dies on me. It may be a flooding problem and the solution may be as simple as playing around with the choke, will have to try that out this weekend.

Re: Re: Re: Nissan Outboards

I have a mercury 15hp that use to miss (drop one of of the 2 cyls, your on the other hand has only one cyl. so it just dies), bog down and eventully cut out and die (good thing we have oars). I was a Auto Technican for Toyota for 10 tens and raced two-stroke dirt bikes for awhile so I know my way around engines. If you have a 2-stroke engine it could be the same problem I had, the low speeds trolling is loading up the clyinder with to much oil and could be fouling out your plug, a simple way is to take the boat out a usaul, but bring a rachet and spark plug socket, Cig. Lighter and extra plug, when it dies tilt to engine up on trim so you can access to engine cover (cowling) remove cover and careful pull the spark plug wire off (be care not to break the plug wire, if stuck grab closer to the boot of the wire and twist a couple of times while pulling), after wire is out of the way take out plug and inspect the tip for excessive oil you can wipe the plug off with a DRY rag but be careful not to hit or move the postion of the tip this gap is important and should not be changed (a old shool trick snowmobiler and dirt biker use is to burn the tip with a lighter this cleans off the oils and heat the plug for a better start), after you clean it you can reintall it or if you have a new plug gapped properly before hand you may replace it at this time but dont over tighten the plug make it snug but not too tight. Now try to start it by turning your idle to fast and choking the engine pull the cord and if it start and idle good you now know where to look for the sulution (plug fouling). What I did is first a for most I alway carry spare plugs with an 2-stroke engine, but to fix to problem you need get your oil-fuel mixture dialed in I was at 44.1 fuel ratio all I did is lean out the oil mixture to 50.1 and I make sure the engine is warmed up before trolling by running it fast crusing a little while this help clean out some oil in the cly. and warm the plug up this should help but please check what ratio your engine can run at at and only adjust it slightly leaner for good measure (hence 50.1 from 44.1 ratio), remember 2-stroke need to run at a certin temp to fuction properly and they need the oil mix right.
Good Luck let me know how it works for you!
Brett